Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Digital SLR Cameras
jos

posted on 11/5/08 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
Digital SLR Cameras

Ive got a number of memorable occasions happening this year and I'm very tempted to purchase a DSLR (either Nikon or Canon).

Ive been told that a Nikon D200 would be a good investment but looking at the prices a D80 seems to be quite a rival.

Does anybody know what the differences are between the D80 and D200 (other than age) and whether there are any advantages/disadvantages to either (ie lens interchangability).

Ive played with Canons but prefer the menu structure & feel of Nikons.

Not interested in other manufacturers

.: Motorsport / motor racing circuit / track wall art Apex Traxs :.

martyn_16v

posted on 11/5/08 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
Depends on how good a photographer you are, and how much you're going to use it tbh. The D200 is built to better tolerances so is generally more reliable, as an example i'll get somewhere in the region of 200,000-250,000 shots between shutter/sequence unit failures on a D200, whereas a D80 will average about 70,000, although I can see anywhere between 30 and 180k depending on whether it happens to be a good one or not, much more variation in quality. The only issue I have with both cameras is that neither will flash-sync above about 1/125 shutter speed, but then none of the Nikons have since the D70s...

The D80 is a lot more beginner friendly, it has more in the way of auto-modes to help you along, but you'd be hard pressed to get a bad shot out of either. The D200 has more developed metering and auto-focus functions than the D80, but again the D80 isn't bad by any stretch of the imagination. Both use the same lens fitment (standard Nikon f-type), same batteries and charger.

I'd go for a D80 unless you can really justify spending the extra. I really only use the D200 when I need the WT-3 wireless attached, otherwise it's always a D80.

Delinquent

posted on 11/5/08 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
Brother has a Nikon, mate has a Canon. Nikon every time for me having played with them both! The lens on the Nikon tend to be far superior as well, though personally haven't got a clue on that, just going on what I've been told :p

Not sure of the exact differences, but have a look at the D90 spec as well which is either now out or due to be out shortly.

martyn_16v

posted on 11/5/08 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
Genuine Nikon lenses tend to be a little cheaper than Canon, but then you can always buy the likes of Sigma, who make for both fitments at roughly the same price, and are cheaper but still good quality.

andybod

posted on 11/5/08 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
i ve just upgraded to a d80 from a canon 300d and i am really impressed with the difference and quality of the nikon allthough it doesn't help your choice i can reccomend the d80
snapper

posted on 11/5/08 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
Professionaly speaking the D200 is leagues ahead of the D80.
The D80 was always in the amature arena where as the D200 was right in to the top amature smei pro/professional market.

As for holding there values, in this fast moving market no digital camera will be worth what you paid for it a year or two down the line.
Trust me as i sit here i am looking at 35 cameras most of which were worth loads in there time but are worth JACK now which is a pity as two of them are very serious large format Linhofs

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Benzine

posted on 11/5/08 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
I have a D80 and it pwns hard
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jos

posted on 12/5/08 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
snapper or anybody

i dont suppose you have a spare d200 or d80 youd be interested in selling??

Delinquent

posted on 12/5/08 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jos
snapper or anybody

i dont suppose you have a spare d200 or d80 youd be interested in selling??

Was thinking of going second hand myself on a new one, but was warned about lifespan on them - though I think the amount I tend to use a camera means a d200 shutter operations will outlast the useful lifespan of the technology!

So if 2 of you have got one, once jos has got his I'd be interested in any leftovers!

jos

posted on 15/5/08 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
bounce

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.