Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OBDII Readers
Mix

posted on 15/5/08 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
OBDII Readers

Hi

I'd like to be able to read and clear fault codes generated by engine management systems. There seem to be a wealth of readers available over a considerable cost spread. As a Locoster I wouldn't want to spend any more than I feel comfortable with but equally would not wish to waste 'hard earned' on tat. Can anyone recommend a good buy for home use?

Regards Mick

britishtrident

posted on 15/5/08 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
These are the guys to buy from http://stores.ebay.co.uk/alpha-bid

for lots of info see this page http://www.gendan.co.uk/articles.php

First you have to work through a mental check list.

What cars do you have or are you likely to have over the next 3-4 years ?

Will you need CAN bus ? (will only be standard on very latest 2007 on models)

Will you be working a lot on VW/Seat/Audi ?

Do you want to read live & freeze frame data ?

Do you want a code reader or laptop interface ?
-----------------------------------------------------------

CAN bus is the protocol than will be on all new cars from this year so unless you want your tool to work only in the short term you need one that will read CAN bus.

I have a U480 scanner and also an ELM Scan interface. I needed a U480 to cover all the protocols including CAN Bus

But if you don't need CAN bus then the U380 is pretty good.
If I were to buy again I would go for a U581

NB: VW/Seat/Audi really need scanners designed for them.
If you are into VW/Seat/Audi and have a laptop get an VAG interface cable rather than a scanner as you can then get very close to full dealer level access to all the cars ECUs.

[Edited on 15/5/08 by britishtrident]

[Edited on 15/5/08 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

bassett

posted on 15/5/08 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
ive got a gendan one which is just a hand held scanner but very good for the money. sorted all my mk4 golf problems with it.

My MNR Blog Updated Jan 2010 - Track Day Prep Begins!

Syd Bridge

posted on 15/5/08 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a DIY kit from ELM, the guys who do the chip that most of the readers use.

Cheers,
Syd.

stevebubs

posted on 15/5/08 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
We just ordered (this morning) one of these

I'll let you know when it turns up.

omega 24 v6

posted on 15/5/08 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a U480 Mix. Don't know how good it s BUT it does read my clio(2003) it won'tread a 2000 206 pug. It won't read a transit van 2007. So it ain't helped me much BUT a couple of mates with focuses have used it and it worked for them. And a polish workmate used it on his Polish reg Almeira and it worked for and helped him.
It got it from ebay £30ish IIRC. Your welcome to come round and see it or use it if you have something you need to try it on at the moment. I figured with local garages charging £25 for a read only then I had not much to lose.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

MartynV

posted on 15/5/08 at 11:45 PM Reply With Quote
The ELM 327 chip is used in many of the scanners and is capable of reading OBDII data from 2001 onwards including CAN equipped vehicles.

However, as there are a number of different operating protocols the chipset does often need the operator to force it into auto search for the correct protocol for the vehicle being tested as the user interface software may not do automatically. Full instructions can be found on the Scantool and ELM Electronics websites. Configuring virtual com port settings on the laptop sometimes causes problems.

Generally I have found ELM 327 and Gendan branded 327 to be very effective for basic code and live data reading.

In my experience even very expensive professional kits that I have used are limited with some vehicles.

britishtrident

posted on 16/5/08 at 07:05 AM Reply With Quote
One thing to watch out for with the ELM PC interface is that some of the software around works well on some cars but hangs on others.

It is worth down loading the various different free versions on the internet and trying them out -- I mainly use ScanTool

[/I]

Mix

posted on 16/5/08 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks All for the input so far,

At the moment I have an annoying intermittent MIL light on my Elise that I'd like to sort. In the future I see the possible uses being on: Ford, Lotus, (K series), BMW and Mercedes.
I'm not too conversant with the latest technology in this respect so would appreciate guidance. Do the 'free upgrades for life' models address the compatability issues?

Thanks Mick

stevebubs

posted on 16/5/08 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
When ours arrives, it'll be tested on a KV6 Rover 75 and V6 Omega...
britishtrident

posted on 16/5/08 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mix
Thanks All for the input so far,

At the moment I have an annoying intermittent MIL light on my Elise that I'd like to sort. In the future I see the possible uses being on: Ford, Lotus, (K series), BMW and Mercedes.
I'm not too conversant with the latest technology in this respect so would appreciate guidance. Do the 'free upgrades for life' models address the compatability issues?

Thanks Mick

On the Elise a lot will depend on the year --- only 2001 on was required by law to be EOBD.
Some year 2000 petrol Rovers aren't fully compliant (in some cases they just need a mod to the EOBD earth connection).

K series misfires are usually down to either plugs & coil packs or leaking inlet manifold gasket.

Only the official MG-Rover Xpart plugs (type number NLP100290) should be used these are specially made by Champion and have special mods to tailor them to the K series --- auxilary gaps, brass termminals & specially shaped porcelain.

Coil packs tend to have a short life (French Beru now made in China) especially If the car has plug top coil packs rather than the type that mount on the end of the cylinder head.

It helps to reduce the plug gap to 0.35" is this reduces the ht voltage at the coil.
Excessive ht voltage causes flash-over on the outside of the plug which carbonises the plug lead and can kill the coil pack.

If changing the plugs gets rid of the misfire but it coomes back after a few miles change the plug leads and coil pack and ideally fit another new set of plugs.

[Edited on 16/5/08 by britishtrident]

[Edited on 17/5/08 by britishtrident]

britishtrident

posted on 17/5/08 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
manifold gasket tech info

[/I]

stevebubs

posted on 17/5/08 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs
When ours arrives, it'll be tested on a KV6 Rover 75 and V6 Omega...

Arrived this morning and the controller with digimoto worked first time on the 03 Plate KV6 Rover 75...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.