Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Domestic disaster - now I have to paint the ceiling
Mansfield

posted on 31/5/08 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
Domestic disaster - now I have to paint the ceiling

What a bummer, I was taking a nearly finished cup of tea into the kitchen so nobody kicked it over and made a mess, and I dropped it.

Description
Description

You wouldn't believe the mess, there was only about 15mm left in it. I now have to paint the walls and the ceiling. It went everywhere including me, the cup didnt break though. This happened 2 weeks ago, so it is all dry now and ready to paint.

Description
Description

I know nothing about decorating so I have some questions.

I guess I roll on some paint just over the spots before a final coat?

Do you put more than one coat on on a normal ceiling job?

Can anyone recommend a decent paint?

It is a 5 year old house, so it is built to modern standards - in other words the finish is a bit poor in places. Do I sand the lumps or does nobody bother will this? I have tried to take a picture but it doesnt show it well.

Description
Description

The worst bit is SWMBO is looking around finding the finish faults that Wimpey kindly sold us and she is thinking maybe the whole house needs a going over. This is not good news.

Thanks

David

iceman26

posted on 31/5/08 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
i did the same thing last week but have got to re do that room so it can wait
Hammerhead

posted on 31/5/08 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
I kind of like it, a very urban look.

My decorator uses something called bim primer to cover stains etc, but maybe you will get away with standard emulsion.

blakep82

posted on 31/5/08 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
you'd have been better off with it kicked over the carpet...

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Mansfield

posted on 31/5/08 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
you'd have been better off with it kicked over the carpet...

You are so right, the carpet is a milky tea colour.

smart51

posted on 31/5/08 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
I painted the ceiling with white paint. I missed a bit. You couldn't tell at the time. Now, when the sun is out and you look at it from a certain angle, you can see the sheen is different.

B&Q sell a paint that goes on pink and dries white. It might make life easier.

I'd cover each stain, let dry, see if the stain is covered, then paint the whole lot afterwards.

You could even cover it with "anti damp" paint which stops water marks coming through. we had to do this after a slight bathroom leak. Even though it had dried thoroughly, the mark still came through the emulsion after a short while.

Humbug

posted on 31/5/08 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
To avoid the possibility of having to do the lot again, get a can of spray-on stain covering paint - not sure of the brand or the proper name, but it's an aerosol. It covers up rusty type stains so they don't show ehn you put the top coat on
Hellfire

posted on 31/5/08 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
If you'd wiped the tea off the walls and ceiling with a damp cloth when you first did it, you'd have saved yourself some time and money.

Phil

Macbeast

posted on 31/5/08 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
It might be good to give the stains a good wipe with a damp cloth before starting to paint. Water stains are a sod and always seem to show through.

There is a special high-density paint for covering up stains eg Polycell Stain Stop

Aico

posted on 31/5/08 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe you can try and sand it off?
JoelP

posted on 31/5/08 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
just to agree, you need a layer of stain blocker first.
JohnN

posted on 31/5/08 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
You let it dry for 2 weeks, so you could paint over it? It would have wiped off with a damp cloth straight afterward

[Edited on 31/5/08 by JohnN]

Mansfield

posted on 31/5/08 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately I started the job before the majority of the answers came through, so I think I am probably going the wrong way now.

I am painting over each stain with a tester pot of the Dulux paint I am going to use. 3 coats later and the marks still stick out like a sore thumb.

In no particular order.

Sanding reduced the stain, and would certainly needs less coats to cover it, but the current finish has a bit of a texture to it and I will be left with a load of flat spots. I dont know how the finish was done so I cant replicate it, it is only paint though.

I tried to wipe it off asap but it absorbed so quickly, I didnt try a wet sponge though - that would have helped I guess.

As I have started painting I cant put a stain blocker on first, I do have a plan to stop it happening again though. I have told SWMBO to finish her f***ing tea so I dont have to keep cleaning up after I kick it over.

Water stains are indeed a sod, and tea stains are worse.

Thanks for all the help, I will have another go tomorrow, and see what bits of your advice I can fit into my current plan.

David

Macbeast

posted on 31/5/08 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think it matters that you have started with ordinary emulsion. You can put stain stop over it.
Liam

posted on 31/5/08 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote

I'm still trying to comprehend the teacup-dropping explosion that could plaster a room's ceiling and walls with tea!! I can't specifically remember any tea-dropping incidents but i'm sure i've done it and surely you normally just have a puddle on the floor and some broken porcelain to clean up?

Or do you drink tea from fragile pressurised vessels? Lol

liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mansfield

posted on 1/6/08 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
The only fragile pressurised vessel round here is my skull.

I too am trying to comprehend how so much mess could come from such an incident. Honestly it was everywhere apart from where I was masking it. It is only a small kitchen (8'x10'ish) and every unit and appliance had drops all over it.

The cup didnt break even though I dropped it from just above work top height onto a hard laminate floor, maybe if it had things would have been better.

[Edited on 1/6/08 by Mansfield]

MikeRJ

posted on 1/6/08 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
Gloss paint over water marks (prior to emulsion) works well IME.
martyn_16v

posted on 1/6/08 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Liam
I'm still trying to comprehend the teacup-dropping explosion that could plaster a room's ceiling and walls with tea!!

I don't know the exact mechanics of it but i've done it myself before, and been similarly amazed. On a slightly-related note I seem to have developed a knack recently for holding a cup under the tap in just the right position that when the tap is turned on even gently the water gets launched straight back out of the cup and about 4 feet into the air, or more usually straight into my face

Mansfield

posted on 1/6/08 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
The bathroom taps at work have such high pressure that combined with the curvaceous sink, deposit water that makes it look like you have wet yourself.

I gave up washing my hands, I like to think my willy is pretty clean so I am not that bothered.

britishtrident

posted on 1/6/08 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
I think before reaching for the emulsion I would try dabbing the stains with household bleach -- bleach works for stains on tea cups.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.