Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: LSD's
scootz

posted on 2/8/08 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
LSD's

I'm having one of those days... !

When you hold one side of a diff steady and the other side freely rotates - is this an LSD, or have I got it the wrong way round?

locoR1

posted on 2/8/08 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
Wrong way round sounds like an open diff!

Description
Description
Check out my CB500T Cafe Racer build diary

tomgregory2000

posted on 2/8/08 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
sounds like an open diff, the easy way i find out is if when you turn one drive shaft the other shaft will turn in the same direction if its a LSD, but it will turn in the opp direction if its the open type
scootz

posted on 2/8/08 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
Cheeeers!
hoots_min

posted on 2/8/08 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
Just to throw something into the mix here, does it not depend on the type of LSD? I have a quaiffe ATB (I believe) and when you raise it up and turn a wheel it acts just like an open diff, however, reading up on it (I went through a time of not thinking I had one even though I bought it thinking I did have one) that both wheels need to be under load for it to act like an lsd - raising it up does not put it under load and therefore acts like an open diff.

Took this from Wikipedia:
Geared Torque-Sensitive Differential
Geared, torque-sensitive mechanical limited slip differentials utilize worm gears to "sense" torque on one shaft. The most famous versions are:

Torsen differential invented by Vernon Gleasman in 1958, then sold to Gleason Corporation, who started marketing it in 1982;
Quaife differential, sold under the name Automatic Torque Biasing Differential (ATB), covered by European Patent No. 130806A2.
Eaton Corporation differential, sold under the name Eaton Detroit Truetrac.
Geared LSDs are less prone to wear than the clutch type, but both output shafts have to be loaded to keep the proper torque distribution characteristics. Once an output shaft becomes free (e.g., one driven wheel lifts off the ground; or a summer tire comes over ice while another is on dry tarmac when the car goes uphill), no torque is transmitted to the second shaft and the torque-sensitive differential behaves like an open differential.

Hope this helps.

Today is a good day: I achieved new heights of ineptitude.

mr henderson

posted on 2/8/08 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hoots_min

Geared LSDs are less prone to wear than the clutch type, but both output shafts have to be loaded to keep the proper torque distribution characteristics. Once an output shaft becomes free (e.g., one driven wheel lifts off the ground; or a summer tire comes over ice while another is on dry tarmac when the car goes uphill), no torque is transmitted to the second shaft and the torque-sensitive differential behaves like an open differential.

I seem to remember reading on a land rover forum that if you had a quaife diff and one wheel lost contact with the gtround you needed to dab the brakes, so that fits with the above

John

AndyGT

posted on 2/8/08 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
I have a quaiffe ATB and this acts like a normal LSD ie both wheels turn the same direction.
Maybe it was under load (as described above) the last time I used it....

nothing is impossible
everything is possible

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.