Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zetec 2.0 Oil Temp
livelee

posted on 13/8/08 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
Zetec 2.0 Oil Temp

Where would this sender be located if I have one on my engine? I have an ETB Instruments Digidash2 Pro and the oil temp shows up as NC (not connected). I need to know where the sensor should be to see if I have one or not. If I don't have one where is the best place to locate one.

Many Thanks

Dan

[Edited on 13/8/08 by livelee]

saigonij

posted on 13/8/08 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
you will not have one. prob best to use the oil pressure sender location - see if you can talk to ETB about the sender
livelee

posted on 13/8/08 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
I have an oil pressure sender in that hole .

Yes ETB can supply the senders, you have to use theirs as they are calibrated for the dash. So where should I put it? The sump or is there another suitable location in the block?

Thanks

Dan

DarrenW

posted on 13/8/08 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
My digidash pro came with an oil temp sender in the box. ETB also sell them seperately, not a lot of money (available online). I made an adaptor from an oil gallery plug (basically drilled and tapped it to take the sender). i think they also sell adaptors.

Try calling Mac#1 to see if they ever fitted one to the engine or how best to do it. mark likes his zetecs so will probs be a good starting point for advice. Failing that ETB are very knowledgable and always willing to help.

Ref using oil pressure sender location - ETB supply a replacement sender for that location that duals up as low oil pressure warning and pressure sender so you will need to maintain that otherwise you will lose those 2 functions.

livelee

posted on 13/8/08 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
The car was built by mac#1 in 2005. I have asked them and they said it did have an oil temp. Hence me asking where it might be as the dash is definitely showing NC.

I've no problem buying a sender or fitting it, I'm just interested to know the best location.

Thanks

Dan

DarrenW

posted on 13/8/08 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
Ref sump location - i did think about modding a sump plug to take the sender. In theory it should work but im not sure where is best to place the sender. Wherever you put it you will need to drive the car under varying conditions to get a feel for what is normal and what is hot and calibrate the DD settings accordingly.

As you may have already realised the dashes are extremely flexible and programmable. So much so that its easy to get a warning flash up that scares the hell out of you at first until you realise that perhaps the parameters need tweeking. Also all cars are different in terms of what the dashes display due to varying locations of sensors.
To try and explain better when i first got my car on road i did a track day. Water temp alarm was set to about 105 deg. Alarm came on and i got scared. Then after some consulation it transpired that the alarm level was a bit low. I then monitored the max readings and changed settings accordingly.

DarrenW

posted on 13/8/08 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by livelee
The car was built by mac#1 in 2005. I have asked them and they said it did have an oil temp. Hence me asking where it might be as the dash is definitely showing NC.

I've no problem buying a sender or fitting it, I'm just interested to know the best location.

Thanks

Dan

Oh i see. In that case it possible that the connection has come off. First port of call is parhaps to look around engine bay to see if there is a wire off anywhere. Wiring on these cars is quite simple so it shouldnt take long to have a good look and suss out where it is. It is only a small thing maybe 10mm OD with a single male spade at the end. The oil pressure doo dar will have 2 wires. Water temp sender is same as oil temp so you are looking for 2 aftermarket fittings that look the same but in 2 seperate locations.

Sorry i cant help more, mine is Pinto so im not sure of the zetec layout.

livelee

posted on 13/8/08 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, I will have a proper look next time I'm at the garage. On initial inspection I'm quite sure it's not there.

I did manage to fix the horn though as that had a wire off.

Water temp is fine, I have an adjustable fan which seems to cool the temps down well when it comes in. Also the pressure looks good. 65psi on hot idle. The engine has done 3.5kmiles since mac#1 rebuilt it.

Dan

[Edited on 13/8/08 by livelee]

Dusty

posted on 13/8/08 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
If it's a silvertop zetec there is a second plug in the same gallery as the pressure sender drilling but a bit toward the rear of the engine that you could use. Otherwise they could have put it in the sump somewhere.
livelee

posted on 13/8/08 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks. Yes it is a silver top. I will check out the area around the pressure sender.

Thanks

Dan

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.