Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What brakes on Sierra uprights?
Mave

posted on 19/8/08 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
What brakes on Sierra uprights?

I've been diagnosed with the financially chronic "upgradeitis" disease, so be careful as it might spread. But I'm looking for a new brake set-up for my Indy.

It weighs about 640 kg, and I'm currently running the standard Sierra calipers, with slightly larger (260 mm) vented discs. I'm only using the car on the road, and am fairly happy with the brake performance. I'm running a twin master cylinder set-up with bias-bar.
I'd like to upgrade to four-pots. Partly because I would like to have a bit more brake power (following a near-miss when a little girl decided to cross the street just in front of me), and partly (ok, for a large part) because I like to looks of aftermarket brakes (and I have very open 17" alloys, so the brakes are very visible).

What would be the best set-up (keeping the budget also in mind). I know Rally Design does some Wilwood kits for 220 pounds, containing 260 mm discs. But I'm leaning more towards 283x24 discs.

I'm also redesigning my pedalbox. Currently the pedal ratio is 3.8:1, but I'm changing it to 5:1.

Any advice?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenB

posted on 19/8/08 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
Can you get alloy uprights for the Sierra? I would have thought a pig-iron upright would weight more than a brake caliper....
All unsprung mass at the end of the day...

Mr G

posted on 19/8/08 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
283mm cossie disc upgrade retaining original calipers

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a
car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes
and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

Mave

posted on 19/8/08 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
Well, weight is not my primary concern (you should feel the weight of my 17" wheels....). I'd like to have lighter uprights as well, but there's not much available.

Right now my focus is on new brakes.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Minicooper

posted on 19/8/08 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
I just bought the rally design kit wilwood four pots 283 vented crossdrilled discs, looks great, a fair old weight but probably overall similiar to the smaller cast original.
One thing is not a complete kit, you will also need to buy pads and braided hoses to complete the conversion

Cheers
David

saigonij

posted on 19/8/08 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
I have done an upgrade where by im using the discs from an ST170 ( 300mm ) with the standard sierra calipers.

its a really easy job cause all i did was unbolt the calipers ( you dont need to undo the brake lines ), put on the new brackets and discs and bolt the calipers back on.

gives fantastic brakes. cheap too - sub £100.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=78359

[Edited on 19/8/08 by saigonij]

tomblyth

posted on 19/8/08 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
what pads have you got in? a change of pads might be all thats needed to improve your stopping power! Although I have hi-spec on mine (see photo album) these are a little more than wilwoods but they do have dust seals and I feel they are important on a road car!
Mave

posted on 20/8/08 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
The pads are not really a problem. The braking itself isn't really the problem. I'm the problem. I'd like to see something nice when I look through the wheels.

At the rear I have huge 270 mm Cossie discs (solid), and in front I only have 260 mm. Yes, I've had problems with brake balance, but that's fixed, and it brakes rather well now. But I'd like to see bigger discs in front, so maybe the ST170 approach is a nice one to try. Just need to find a fitting set of Wilwoods then.......

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.