Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Help! Exhaust to chassis clearance (MK Indy + MK Exhaust, Zetec Blacktop)
chrisspartan

posted on 26/8/08 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
Help! Exhaust to chassis clearance (MK Indy + MK Exhaust, Zetec Blacktop)

I collected my nice new MK exhaust at the weekend and rapidly got it bolted on - however I seem to have very limited clearance to chassis rails.

I can only get a max of 6mm gap from exhaust to diagonal chassis bar and exhaust to top chassis rail. This seems a bit tight to me considering potential engine movement.

Engine is as far back in chassis as possible.

Anyone any suggestions or is this how it should be???

Exhaust 2
Exhaust 2

Exhaust 1
Exhaust 1

]

[Edited on 26/8/08 by chrisspartan]

[Edited on 26/8/08 by chrisspartan]

saigonij

posted on 27/8/08 at 07:07 AM Reply With Quote
are the engine mounts your own creation?

is the engine higher than it should be?

indykid

posted on 27/8/08 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by saigonij
are the engine mounts your own creation?

is the engine higher than it should be?

that was my first thought but it's also tight on the diagonal so dropping the engine would make the problem worse there.

i'd give MK a ring and ask how close it should be. personally though, i think the engine may move more than 6mm. in an ideal world, you could cut the diagonal, reweld in a pair to make a v and drop the engine but then that affects all sorts of other things.

tom

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 27/8/08 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
That's plenty ......on macs car the exhaust sat at 4 mm above the rail. pack a few big washers on the opposite side to tilt the engine

procomp

posted on 27/8/08 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
HI

If you fit competition engine mount rubbers it will be ok just. Ordinary soft ones will allow contact to be made for sure.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chrisspartan

posted on 27/8/08 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks - Yes I have fabbed my own mounts - but I dont think that matters as the engine is as far back as possible in chassis and the height is dictated by the chassis so I dont see how MK mounts will help me.
I am not sure what my mounts are - they are rectangular - not sure if they are MK ones.

procomp

posted on 27/8/08 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Rally desighn sell the competition mounting rubbers in either a height of 38mm or 50mm. They are the round ones with a thread each side. Not sure if these will fit your aplication.

There web site dose not appear to show them anymore but i will get the part numbers for you in case.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coozer

posted on 27/8/08 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
i wouldn't mind some comp mounts as well. My engien tends to move side to side when corner, not so much tilting over but the steering arm is around 20 from the filter take off and they have marks to suggest they touch.
I have Peugeot TDi mounts on mine ATM

Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

procomp

posted on 27/8/08 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
Hi the engine mount part numbers at rally desighn are. RD409 for the 38mm. And RD410 for the 50mm one. These are the competition higher shore rated ones not the ussual soft ones. Or the transit ones.

Cheers Matt

Edit to say it's a 35mm not a 38mm for the shorter one. But the part numbers are good just checked.

[Edited on 27/8/08 by procomp]

DRC INDY 7

posted on 28/8/08 at 06:19 AM Reply With Quote
You can use land rover sieries 1 and 2 diesel engine mounts you can get them off ebay i have them on my pinto set up a couple of mm movement at the most its rock solid and it does not rattle your teeth out

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462610273778799/

Puddle Dodgers Club

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.