Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: O. T. HUMAX unit
Chippy

posted on 31/8/08 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
O. T. HUMAX unit

Anybody know much about these recorders. Recently got one, and just found that we can't record SKY programs. According to the book of destructions, we need a CI-module, and a smart card but I have no idea what these are, and/or where I would get them from. Any help greatly appreciated. Cheers Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

joneh

posted on 31/8/08 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
You may be able to record using the AV input and the VCR socket on the back of the SKY Box. The humax box only has a TV tuner in it, not a SKY tuner.

hth.

saigonij

posted on 1/9/08 at 06:47 AM Reply With Quote
not sure - i dont think they can record over scart.

which model did you get by the way?

im thinking of getting the 9300. i know the fan is noisy, but there are things ( digitalspy forum ) that you can do to quiet them down.

Peteff

posted on 1/9/08 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
Humax have internal freeview tuners and can only record from them. You could buy a combined DVD/HDD recorder and record via scart.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

phoenix70

posted on 1/9/08 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
Why not just get SKY+, it is brilliant for recording programs of Sky

[Edited on 1/9/08 by phoenix70]

Chippy

posted on 1/9/08 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
Hi, model is PVR-9200T. The set up instructions for the Humax say that you can record "Pay To View" channels using the CI-module and a smart card, but nodoby seems to know just what that is! There is a pisture in the book showing these fitted in the front panel, (which doesn't help much). As to getting a Sky+ box, I think I pay enough to Sky without adding to it. Plus having shelled out best part of £200 already, I would at least like to try to get the Humax working, if I can. Cheers Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

saigonij

posted on 1/9/08 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
the pay to view channels are "top up TV". im not sure how it works either, but i guess you pay for the channel ( some how ) and they send you a card that you put in the slot which allows you to view the channel - e.g. ukgold.

Also, are you sure its not the 9300? the 9200 is old and if you got it recently, should not have cost you £200.

Mr G

posted on 1/9/08 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
Ok....just to clarify a few things. You will never be able to get sky on that box because it is a digital terrestrial tv unit and cannot recieve a satellite signal.It records the raw data stream straight onto the hard drive and does not have an encoder to record any external 'av' sources. I have a Tivo for when that is required

Sky transmit sky news and travel etc on terrestrial (unencrypted) but nothing else for now.

As mentioned the pay to view channels on digital terrestrial are 'Top Up TV' but they have swapped over from being broadcast 'realtime' to being transmitted of an evening and stored on special top up tv recievers as part of a VOD (video on demand service)

Before they went over to VOD there were a number of channels available (they timeshared the same channels) - UK GOLD/TCM/CARTOON NETWORK were but a few.

These channels were encrypted in SECA2, so if you purchased a SECA2 CI module and subscribed to the old service you would of got a card and been able to view those channels at £7 a month

This is what my parents recieved as I managed to get hold of an old 'on digital' box which used to use the SECA1 encryption built in - no need for a CI module. When they subscribed the card sent out upgraded the encryption to SECA2.

I think they had it for a couple of years before the service changed.

What happened was the channels they were using were owned by channel 4 and because more4 and the +1 channels were launching they needed them back.

Top Up TV were forced to provide a VOD service on the few channels they had remaining.

So now everynight on these channels a stream of various tv programs is transmitted and recorded on top up tv compatible PVRS (My parents is a THOMSON) The box then sorts out the programs by chanel i.e grouping all the Discovery ones together ready for you to view the next day. You don't get a say in what you programs you recieve - it's chosen for you.

These transmitions on the top up tv channels 'may' be visible and recordable on other terrestrial PVRS with a Nagravision (They changed encryption methods again in April) CI module and top up tv subscription card but would be one great big recording mess and frankly not worth the hassle.

The Setanta sports channel is still transmitted normally and would accessible with the CI module and card in your box - Example on ebay

I initially thought your HUMAX was a satellite reciever - If that was the case then SKY would of been recievable using a DRAGON CI module (cam) and a legitimate sky viewing card.

If your paying a sky subscription anyway then being able to use sky+ is now free - I picked up a 160gb sky+ box second hand for £35 delivered - If your not fussed about recording/viewing 2 channels at the same time you don't even need to swap the dish's lnb over for a quad one or run another cable - just record off the single tuner. Only other cost was the phone call to sky to get the viewing card paired with the new sky+ box

Sorry for the essay

Cheers

G

[Edited on 1/9/08 by Mr G]

Chippy

posted on 1/9/08 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
Feel like I've been conned really, sent an email to Humax customer service. There is no way that the bloody thing will receive Sky, and it's such a great machine, Oh! well it's only money, (WWHHAATTTT am I saying!!!!!!). Could have got a new set of boots for the car for what I spent on that, bugger!!!!! Cheers Ray

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.