Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Overtaking in F1
carpmart

posted on 2/10/08 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
Overtaking in F1

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/081002101642.shtml

Lets hope that the ideas in the link above really do work and we see F1 return to the truly great spectacle it should be.

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

Hammerhead

posted on 2/10/08 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
put them all in these!

lotus25
lotus25

take aero and ground effect out of the equation.

blakep82

posted on 2/10/08 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
seems they're looking to take F! design back to the early 90s like the days of the 7up jordan, without all these stupid extra bits hanging off the sides, and front wings that scrape the ground on fast straights

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

speedyxjs

posted on 2/10/08 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
I think there are some good idea's. I especially like the ability to change the front wing angle twice a lap.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

MikeCapon

posted on 2/10/08 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
Let's hope it works. F1 certainly needs something to pull it in the right direction.

Hard to believe that the FIA are behind this initiative. It's far too good, too logical, sensible and fair.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 2/10/08 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
I use to watch F1 all the time but it got totally boring and the cars look like some thing from a bad space film. They should ditch the spoilers and fit the cars with cheap remolds from kwik fit, then it would be interesting again, actually see some real driving skill for a change, who wants to see a computer controlled car anyway.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
richardlee237

posted on 2/10/08 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
I cannot believe that the FIA cannot legislate to remove devices whose sole purpose is to affect aerodynamic flow.

The only real way to improve is to reduce the cars susceptibility to disturbed air.

The problem with moveable wings, apart from the mechanical integrity (which is what killed them off before) is that all the drivers will use the wings at the same place. Hence this will tend to nullify the effect while at the same time putting up the driver's workload and increasing the liklihood of arriving at a corner with the wrong wing set.

On a lighter note, I always liked the idea of each driver having his own water bottle to spray the track behind, that would keep them on their toes

Quote Lord Kelvin
“Large increases in cost with questionable increases in performance can be tolerated only in race horses and women.”

Quote Richard Lee

"and cars"

smart51

posted on 2/10/08 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
twice a lap is a silly idea. Either let them do it at will or stop them from doing it. If it is acceptable why limit them. If it is not, why let them do it at all. Otherwise you'll end up with McLaren getting penalties because they did it a millimetre sooner on one lap than the previous, making it technically 3 times in 1 lap.

Make the rules simpler.

The biggest problem with F1 is that teams win because of fuel and tyre strategy rather than driver ability. I want to see racing.

Here's my proposal:

No refuelling. Carry all the fuel you need for the race in your tank.

No tyre changes other than for punctures or collision damage. Most other forms of motorsport can find tyres that will last for 200 miles.

No traction or braking aids. Let the good drivers out handle the bad ones.

Bring back V10 engines. They sounded much better.

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 2/10/08 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 2/10/08 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
seems they're looking to take F! design back to the early 90s like the days of the 7up jordan, without all these stupid extra bits hanging off the sides, and front wings that scrape the ground on fast straights

blakep82

posted on 2/10/08 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
twice a lap is a silly idea. Either let them do it at will or stop them from doing it. If it is acceptable why limit them. If it is not, why let them do it at all. Otherwise you'll end up with McLaren getting penalties because they did it a millimetre sooner on one lap than the previous, making it technically 3 times in 1 lap.

Make the rules simpler.

The biggest problem with F1 is that teams win because of fuel and tyre strategy rather than driver ability. I want to see racing.

Here's my proposal:

No refuelling. Carry all the fuel you need for the race in your tank.

No tyre changes other than for punctures or collision damage. Most other forms of motorsport can find tyres that will last for 200 miles.

No traction or braking aids. Let the good drivers out handle the bad ones.

Bring back V10 engines. They sounded much better.

remember they did away with tyre changes a few years back. i thought it was rubbish.

hmm, adding ballast weight like they do in other motorsports is the way forward lol

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

blakep82

posted on 2/10/08 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mangogrooveworkshop

mmm

omega 24 v6

posted on 2/10/08 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
Can't see it happening myself at the moment. GP2 cars are around 7 secs a lap slower than F1. F1 is the pinnacle of motorsport ergo big changes would need to be made to lower the status of GP2 first.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

RK

posted on 2/10/08 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
I like the no refuelling idea. If you're low, then others will be see you slowing down to conserve and pass. Simple. Changing aerodynamics is another way to have costs stay astronomical. I totally fail to see why you need 500 employees to go racing.
David Jenkins

posted on 2/10/08 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
Some of the US cars (Champ?) have a 'push to pass' button that gives them a short-term power boost that they can use when they want.

The trick is that it has a strict time limit per race - the track marshall sets a maximum 'push to pass' time of, say, 30 seconds per race (set according to the track). Drivers have to decide whether to use it during the race, or to save it for the last lap.

The best bit is that the marshalls, pit crews, and audience all know what's been used as the race goes on - adds a bit of spice!

Here's a better description

The difficult bit is that Champ cars all use the same Cosworth engine, so adding the button is relatively easy and ensures that everyone gets the same power boost. It might be harder for F1, where every engine is different. Not impossible though.

[Edited on 2/10/08 by David Jenkins]

smart51

posted on 2/10/08 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
...No tyre changes other than for punctures or collision damage. Most other forms of motorsport can find tyres that will last for 200 miles...

remember they did away with tyre changes a few years back. i thought it was rubbish.

But they didn't change the tyres to ones that would last, they just kept the old ones on till they blistered and delaminated. I suspect that they wanted that plan to fail so made no attempt to fit tyres that will last a whole race.

scudderfish

posted on 2/10/08 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
No refueling would also have the benefit of making the behaviour of the car significantly different over the course of the race as the weight changes. All the better to sort out the good drivers from the seat warmers
RK

posted on 2/10/08 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
There are a few problems with the old champ car push to pass thing: firstly, they were turbo cars with limiters on the turbos. The push to pass opened them up a bit that's all. Secondly, they didn't succeed very well did they, because the series is extinct!

Most passing during their races was because of 1. very short tracks and 2. lots of yellow flags, which artificially lumps everyone together (as we saw in Singapore). The best car doesn't win in that scenario, as we saw. 3. car acceleration that is nothing like an F1 car, so the cars don't spread out as much.

[Edited on 2/10/08 by RK]

jollygreengiant

posted on 2/10/08 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
Just out of curiosity, did any of you spot the ferrari boss spitting the dummy on the ceefax pages where the quote came from this bbc internet page

click here to link

you need to get to the third paragraph.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

RK

posted on 2/10/08 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
His sponsors bought and paid for a victory. No wonder he's a bit upset.
omega 24 v6

posted on 2/10/08 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

It was a bitter day, but there are three races left and I have faith in all of Ferrari's men

His faith is misplaced methinks.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

LBMEFM

posted on 2/10/08 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
Push to Pass buttons work OK in A1GP. But the best way to solve the problems of F1 is to stop watching it, the sponser's will pull out and the whole sorry thing will die, thank God, and then we can watch real motorsport again. Rally X, World & British Super Bikes, touring cars and the countless bril club racing throughout the country most weekends.
David Jenkins

posted on 2/10/08 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
Trouble is, unless you pay for your TV channels, you rarely see good circuit racing of any kind. M&M show the world rally championship, but apart from that - next to nothing.

When I used to pay for Sky I saw 2 really great races: the first was a Legends race - absolutely cracking to watch, with overtaking every 100 metres and the occasional off-track excursion. The winning pack were still together at the finish line. The second was a Caterham race - tough but sportsmanlike racing that was very entertaining.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.