Board logo

clearance
major - 15/9/09 at 04:37 PM

What's the minimum sump clearance?

Currently sticking out under the frame for almost 3 inch.

goaty - 15/9/09 at 04:45 PM

my pinto sump must poke out that much or more, not ideal i must say. There is a gaurd for it but i wouldn't expect it to save it. Not had any probs yet but new engine will def have more.
My pinto sum pis standard so a shortened one would be ideal, looks like yours is already done...

major - 15/9/09 at 04:51 PM

Only shortened on the right side, not the bottom side. The drain plug is the way.

BenB - 15/9/09 at 04:57 PM

I run 80mm but only by cranking up the front ride height. I slow down for sleeping policemen (and horses ). No problems for me. That looks less than 80mm!!

PAUL FISHER - 15/9/09 at 05:13 PM

80mm is a real minimum,around 100mm is what you want to be looking at.

Guinness - 15/9/09 at 06:46 PM

It depends how high you jump!

My sump plug sticks down below the chassis rails by about 1".

When I took it off the other day, there are a few parallel scrapes along it!

Mike

speedyxjs - 15/9/09 at 06:52 PM

Mine is currently hangs about 3" and is 1" above the ground. It wont even clear the driveway

Duncan Mould - 15/9/09 at 07:04 PM

I would be tempted to make a shim to go under the 2 engine mounts 10mm thick just to give you that bit more clearance and still slow down for the sleeping policemen.

Bluemoon - 15/9/09 at 07:07 PM

take a look at:

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=119010

and

link

and

linky

Cheers

Dan

(Added a few more links).

[Edited on 16/9/09 by Bluemoon]

RAYLEE29 - 15/9/09 at 07:28 PM

Raise ride height to 100m (chassis rails to ground) and try to raise engine so sump is only 25mm protruding thatll give you 75mm clearance which is still a bit minimal
Ray

major - 16/9/09 at 03:27 PM

Clearance is approx 75mm, so need to improve that.

Thanks for the info.

Bluemoon - 17/9/09 at 11:28 AM

I'm currently havening the same issue.. I think I will end up with 85mm under the sump which will have to do until I chop it...

Trouble is I am having to modify our shared drive at the moment as I keep "plowing" up the grass with the sump not good!

Dan

procomp - 17/9/09 at 01:24 PM

Hi

3" / 75mm is what is generally considered the minimum for cautious road use. But looking at that top pic the low part of the sump is not far of the front axle alignment. This makes it not quite so bad as those that have the low sump problems further back towards their bellhousings. A good skid / sump guard would do with cautious driving over the usual speed humps etc. Obviously pack the engine as high as you can on the mounts as well.

Cheers Matt