Board logo

Which IRS is best
Antnicuk - 1/7/10 at 12:29 PM

If I were to graft a sierra based IRS rear end from another kit car onto the Stylus which would be a good one to choose? Is there much difference in design between the common manufacturers? I thought a locost one would be a good place to start, opinions? (about which one not about why I'm doing it)

speedyxjs - 1/7/10 at 01:40 PM

Why sierra? Surely there are stonger units out there [cough] Jag [cough]

sdh2903 - 1/7/10 at 01:56 PM

BMW? some built for 300bhp out the box available cheap as chips too.

daviep - 1/7/10 at 03:06 PM

Have you looked at "RORTY IRS" I believe the plans are still available free for download.

Davie

nick205 - 1/7/10 at 03:38 PM

Seeing as everyones been good so far and not asked, I have to ask why?

Not saying you shouldn't by any means, just interested...?

bi22le - 1/7/10 at 08:34 PM

Raw generally seem to produce some good results in 750MC. Also uses Sierra.

Not that Im biased!!

bi22le - 1/7/10 at 08:34 PM

Raw generally seem to produce some good results in 750MC. Also uses Sierra.

Not that Im biased!!

Antnicuk - 1/7/10 at 08:35 PM

thanks, not heard of 'rorty' so i will google it.

i just thought that sierra would be the easiest choice for getting parts and the most options. Plus i already have a sierra cossie LSD diff and sierra calipers and i want the same ford stud pattern.

On previous posts i have been flamed for wanting to improve my car so lets just say i want to try some thing different!

[Edited on 1-7-10 by Antnicuk]

stevebubs - 1/7/10 at 08:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Antnicuk
thanks, not heard of 'rorty' so i will google it.

i just thought that sierra would be the easiest choice for getting parts and the most options. Plus i already have a sierra cossie LSD diff and sierra calipers and i want the same ford stud pattern.

On previous posts i have been flamed for wanting to improve my car so lets just say i want to try some thing different!

[Edited on 1-7-10 by Antnicuk]

You're probably going to have to shorten the halfshalts anyhow so Frankenstein shafts that are BMW one end and Ford the other probably aren't a huge problem...

bikenuts - 1/7/10 at 09:58 PM

SSC-Tim did an IRS using a sierra diff - there are some pictures in the build manual ( http://www.clubstylus.be/build/manual/latest_build_manual.pdf ) If he has the bits in stock he'll sell them to you - for a price, otherwise you'd be on your own - doesn't look too hard though; the leading/trailing links look standard with only the wishbones and upright anything out of the ordinary. With the power you're running I think you'll need the 7.5 sierra diff.