Board logo

Spongy brakes..
j3w3ll3r - 17/5/11 at 12:16 PM

Hi Chaps,

we've had all the brakes completly overhauled and put back on the car. We've got Willwood calipers/drilled and cross grooved vented disks along with braided brake lines on the front. The Rear's as far as i know are standard calipers with drilled and cross grooved vented and braided lines.

We've changed all the fluid for AP racing 5.1 and bled them. But the brakes still don't feel firm enough and the peddle travels quite a fair bit. I'm not too sure if it's just that i'm use to another car, or that i didn't get the heat into them enough?

We've been told that ideally we should change the master cylinder from the standard ford (if that's what it is from) to something better which will improve the spongyness..

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions? Or things that i could try?

Many thanks in advance :-)

adithorp - 17/5/11 at 12:32 PM

Last complaint of spongy Wilwoods had only bled one side of the caliper...

nib1980 - 17/5/11 at 12:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Last complaint of spongy Wilwoods had only bled one side of the caliper...

yep, that would be me

britishtrident - 17/5/11 at 12:46 PM

Sierra rear calipers ? --- if so unbolt and turn so the nipple is at the top.

R

BenB - 17/5/11 at 01:30 PM

What kind of brake switch have you got? If it's hydraulic then a big old bubble below it (depending on how it's mounted) can cause that problem....

big-vee-twin - 17/5/11 at 01:31 PM

Agree with BT above, but also dont forget to bleed the lower nipples on the Wilwoods, manufacture says no need but there's always a bit of air lurking in there

j3w3ll3r - 18/5/11 at 02:20 PM

thanks Chaps,,

Will take a look hopeully before the track day on sat.. Took it out for another spin last night and it feels like the brake peddle goes down about 3-4 inches before anything happens..

laurencedawson - 19/5/11 at 08:39 AM

hi,

I have a fair bit of travel even with solid pipes and braided hoses all round- but that does sound like too much- i eventually
improved mine by bleeding the brakes, then running for a while, then bleeding again...after
a morning spent doing that it improved somewhat......

les