Board logo

Is there many problems in fitting a sierra 1.8td engine and gearbox to ron champions chassis design
lee201283 - 24/2/03 at 07:58 AM

Is there many problems in fitting a sierra 1.8td engine and gearbox to ron champions chassis design?

carnut - 24/2/03 at 04:57 PM

Yes there is a huge problem.

Dont fit a diesel!

philgregson - 24/2/03 at 07:56 PM

Ignore him!! - a turbo diesel could be a lot of fun with all that low down grunt - perfect for B-roads.

This forum, after all, is all about doing your own thing to build the car you want.

Make sure the exhaust exits at the rear though - diesel fumes aren't very good for you.

Phil.

[Edited on 24/2/03 by philgregson]

[Edited on 24/2/03 by philgregson]

chrisg - 24/2/03 at 09:05 PM

I know it's been done in the westfield, wieght of the engine and it's effect on the handling could be something to consider.

Cheers

Chris

carnut - 24/2/03 at 10:24 PM

My earlier post was unfair as I am among the extreme whose obsision is to make every thing as light as possible but a diesel would be an amazing car for cruzing but you might loose out when it comes to handling as chrisg pointed out.

Mark Allanson - 24/2/03 at 10:55 PM

I did consider (dodgy word these days!), using the 1.8TD before I got my 2.0i Pinto. It would be a very interseting motor. I think a very low ratio diff would make use of the torque, I should imagine that with a standard diff you could pull away from a standstill in third. You could use the sierra 3.15 diff, which would give a great first gear and at 70 you would be only using 2550 rpm with 185 65 14 tyres - probably good for 75mpg at motorway speeds.

I don't know how you would silence the exhaust though!