Board logo

Turning wood
johnH20 - 18/2/15 at 06:17 PM

A domestic rather than kit car question if you will allow. I need to make up some circular wood or MDF light bases approx. 100 mm diam. I have never turned anything on a wood lathe but I seem to remember seeing people use a chisel like cutter hand held against a fixed rest. I have an ML7, no rest and no chisel. Can I get away with a metal cutter of some kind? Not a high precision job, just need to make something round. Ideas please.

Smoking Frog - 18/2/15 at 06:56 PM

Haven't got a lathe but have successfully cut 100mm disc with a jig-saw and also on a band saw. Tight curve but it's possible if you take your time. However a faster approach would be to use a hole saw say 105mm dia mounted in a pillar drill. Although the finish from a lathe would be far better and your description using a rest and chisel sounds right, never used one myself though.

rdodger - 18/2/15 at 06:58 PM

2 hole cutters might be easier?

SteveWalker - 18/2/15 at 07:09 PM

You can certainly use metal cutting tools to turn wood. You can then sand it smooth while spinning it in the lathe.

You could also buy a cheap wood-turning tool off ebay and clamp a bar to the slides (or in the toolpost) as a rest.

Slimy38 - 18/2/15 at 07:25 PM

I seem to remember Aldi have done wood turning lathes before now... machine mart may also have something cheap.

austin man - 18/2/15 at 07:54 PM

Pity your not closer I have a couple of wood routers which can do this type of work quite easily

trextr7monkey - 18/2/15 at 09:06 PM

Yes to using metal lathe for a bit of wood turning
- we quite often put kids wooden jobs in a metal lathe to tidy them up and to measure very accurately
Loads of ways to cut circles as mentioned above depending on tools available jigsaw, scroll saw, flycutter type of adjustable drill bit, hole cutters . If you have a disc sander you can rustle up a fixture to change rough cut octagons into perfect circles .
Hth
Mike

rf900rush - 18/2/15 at 09:06 PM

My young daughter wanted to have a go at some woodwork.

So we had a go at some wood turning on my Denford metal lathe.

Using a combination of metal lathe tools and a reground wood chisel

Here what we achieved.

Wood Pot
Wood Pot

Wood Pot
Wood Pot

Just a thought.
Plywood may well be a better option when turning, MDF can go fluffy.

[Edited on 18/2/15 by rf900rush]

markyb - 18/2/15 at 09:08 PM

if you dont have a tool for cutting just sharpen the edge of a screwdriver and take light cuts to avoid digging in

tegwin - 19/2/15 at 08:19 AM

Will mdf cut on a lathe? I'd rather think it would tear!?

How about getting/borrowing a cheap router and making a jig so you rout the shapes out? Kinda like drawing a circle with a pair of compass

trextr7monkey - 19/2/15 at 09:37 AM

MGF is soft and easy to turn with sharp chisels - like peeling a pencil when sharpening. Not so easy to get a really fine finish as the fine dust is unpleasant to work with you will need a mask

Trollyjack - 19/2/15 at 09:55 AM

MDF nasty stuff ware a mask

Irony - 19/2/15 at 10:48 AM

You guys have lost the spirit of Locost. I turned my fuel cap out of ally using nothing but a 30 year old black and decker corded drill and a reaming tool (the same one I reamed the front hubs with). If I can do that you can easily turn MDF on a wood turning lathe!

keithjardine - 19/2/15 at 10:53 AM

If you want to use MDF its so cheap to buy already cnc laser/router cut.

Contact one of the hundreds of sellers on ebay with 18mm thick letters for sale and they will cut you what you need and post out.

I use this lady because she is local and I can collect in person.
FREE STANDING LETTERS, MDF LETTERS, 18MM LETTERS, WOODEN FREE STANDING LETTERS

The cut edges can be difficult to get sealed, good quality primer and paint will help.