Board logo

GPS navigation system
Kook - 5/12/06 at 09:53 AM

Can anyone give me a bit more info on these things ... I am a nightmare at getting lost so am thinking of getting one.
Have been looking at info and cannot find out if i have to pay a monthly fee to use the gps or is it included. Cheers

Scotty - 5/12/06 at 09:59 AM

i have a tomtom addon for my mobile phone, works really well
apart from the purchase cost,
there are no monthly charges, but map updates have to be paid for , unless you know where to get them from

Jon Ison - 5/12/06 at 10:07 AM

I am more than happy with my Navman, makes you a bit idle when driving though and sometimes get interference on 5 live. FM radio is unaffected though.

Edit too add, no fees'.

[Edited on 5/12/06 by Jon Ison]

Agriv8 - 5/12/06 at 10:41 AM

TOm tom 6 running on My Pda ( pocket pc 2003 ) through a wired Receiver.

Excelent plus the Speed camera notification must have saved me a least 4 or 5 times.

regards

Agriv8

DarrenW - 5/12/06 at 10:44 AM

Ive got a cheap Tomtom (Go300 i think it is). Excellent, cant fault it. Sometimes i find myself on new roads that are not on the map but thats not the gizmos fault, i just need an updated map.

So where do you get updated maps from? (and i dont mean high street outlets).

RazMan - 5/12/06 at 11:01 AM

I've got two Navman setups. Absolutely essential if you are navigationally challenged like me.

viatron - 5/12/06 at 11:51 AM

got the tomtom one which is great and also the garmin 13 for the missus which is also good but a bit smaller (she wanted something she could get in her handbag), also have route66 on the phone but the tomtom is better
Mac

check out http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/

always had good service from them
Mac

macnab - 5/12/06 at 11:56 AM

I've got road angel, just brill works great. Its got the speed camera thing and will save your licence.

macnab - 5/12/06 at 01:11 PM

Its one off those things you didn't relies you needed till you got it. I got lost all the time going down south. Very handy in the dark or fog cos you can see what the roads going to do well in advance. I don't feel comfortable driving now without it. I'd love to make a head up display (like in fighter planes) so I wouldn't have to look over all the time. Yeh, I'll just shut up now...!