Board logo

Take-off for Turbo Boost Gauge
bilbo - 10/11/08 at 10:06 AM

Probably a dumb question this, but I haven't had enough caffine yet today to get my head round it:
I've just been thinking about the fitment of my Turbo Boost Gauge. Where best would it be to run a take-off for the gauge - before or after the throttle body?
Is there a right or wrong place, are there pros and cons for each, or does it make little or no diference?

Cheers,
Bill

Mr Whippy - 10/11/08 at 10:08 AM

Rescued attachment send_image.jpg
Rescued attachment send_image.jpg

bilbo - 10/11/08 at 10:14 AM

Hey - Don't mock the Hoff!

rost - 10/11/08 at 10:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by bilbo

Don't Hassel the Hoff!

bilbo - 10/11/08 at 10:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by rost
quote:

Don't Hassel the Hoff!

Told you I hadn't had enough caffine - completly missed the potential there

matt_claydon - 10/11/08 at 10:32 AM

It should be after the TB, somewhere on the inlet manifold. You want to know what the engine is seeing, not the pipework. The gauge would never read vacuum if it was before the TB and you would get big overboost spikes when you snap the throttle shut.

BenB - 10/11/08 at 10:38 AM

After the TB (unless you want Max Power type dials which flick around when your dump valve goes whOOOOOOOsh but don't actually tell you much useful information)

Mr Whippy - 10/11/08 at 10:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by matt_claydon
It should be after the TB, somewhere on the inlet manifold. You want to know what the engine is seeing, not the pipework. The gauge would never read vacuum if it was before the TB and you would get big overboost spikes when you snap the throttle shut.

yip

bilbo - 10/11/08 at 10:51 AM

Great, that all makes sense now - Thanks. I already have a spare take-off after the TB, so that's that sorted.

BTW, I'm using the OEM recirculating dump valve, so no CAPOOOSH sillyness here

Thanks again
Bill

matt_claydon - 10/11/08 at 11:13 AM

quote:

Good choice.

Mr Whippy - 10/11/08 at 11:45 AM

quote:
Great, that all makes sense now - Thanks. I already have a spare take-off after the TB, so that's that sorted.

Thanks again
Bill

yeah that farting noise is rather chav these days. I hate the way they redline the engine in every gear (even in a que just so it blows wind) what to££ers