Board logo

2.9 V6 Cosworth
the man with a plan - 2/6/04 at 01:38 PM

Howdie,

Are all V6 2.9l ford engines classed as 'Cosworth'?

How easy would it to mount a Cosworth V6 and gearbox into a mcsorely +442? Will there be many issues with height and width?

If the block has come from a 4x4 sierra, will the sump have the front axel running through it, and if so what mods need to be done to make it run?

Finally, what would be a good price to pay for the lump and box together?

Thank you very much

Hellfire - 2/6/04 at 01:41 PM

Our 4x4 Sierra XR4i had a 2.9i engine (therefore not Cosworth). We got shut after taking off the bits we needed. We sold the remains including box and engine for £150 IIRC.

the man with a plan - 2/6/04 at 01:54 PM

Now I understand, the 12v version came in 4x4s whilst the 24v, cossie, was available in granadas and scorpios. Do they share the same bottom end, with the 24v having a special cossie head?

Any issues when it comes to mounting the box and engine? How wide is it?

Did the engine you sold have an axel running through the sump, or am i just imagining something that is very far from the truth?

Thanks again

Hellfire - 2/6/04 at 02:00 PM

IIRC (it was some time ago - Sept 2003) the front prop went down the n/s of the sump.

With reference to the other questions - there are far more knowledgable people on here to discuss those issues. Sorry I can't help you further

I've just discovered our 'donor section' didn't work I've uploaded it now so have a look in there they may be something to help you!

[Edited on 2-6-04 by Hellfire]

timf - 2/6/04 at 02:14 PM

http://www.interford.co.uk/forums/

will give all the answers if you ask

also how to convert the cosworth to manual gearbox

stephen_gusterson - 2/6/04 at 02:44 PM

most granada will be the 12v non cosworth version.

atb

steve

mackie - 2/6/04 at 03:05 PM

The 4x4 version will indeed have the sump with the front driveshaft going through it.
4x4 Type-9/MT75 not worth modifying.
What you want is a 2.9 rwd manual granada - which are rare.

NS Dev - 2/6/04 at 04:35 PM

or get all the bits separately, then you can use a Capri 2.8i/Sierra XR4i/MK2or early MK3 granada manual type 9 "V6" 'box. You can take the flexplate of an auto engine and fit the flywheel from a 2.8 to the 2.9 (which is much lighter too!) and there you have a manual transmission on a Ford v6 from an auto car, but the Type 9 'box will go bang quite readily, but then you can get gearkits very easily (not cheap though) compared to the kits for the MT75 which are remortgage territory!

nicklondon - 2/6/04 at 04:39 PM

there is an feature on the ford cologne v6 in the june edition of Practical Performance Car which explains all the differances between the models

Hellfire - 2/6/04 at 04:50 PM

MT75 boxes have been signalled the death nell (so prices should come down - in theory!). Production is being phased out to be replaced by the MT82/3 which is a 6speed box as projected to be fitted to the new Transit with paddle gearchange TRUE!

[Edited on 2-6-04 by Hellfire]

the man with a plan - 2/6/04 at 09:13 PM

Thank you very much for your replies, looks like I am going to have to reconsider my options.

Rob Allison - 2/6/04 at 09:19 PM

The new transit is front wheel drive. i think?

Hellfire - 2/6/04 at 10:16 PM

The new transit is deffo FWD.

Picture of 4x4 underbelly for your reference:

the man with a plan - 2/6/04 at 11:34 PM

Cheers for that, very handy!

CliveM - 3/6/04 at 07:47 AM

FWIW the cosworth block was stiffened, so a cologne V6 block is different.

How do I know?? Work for an engine remanufacturer and we found out the hard way!! Cosworth V6 blew up at 6000rpm while on a dyno!!! crank broke into 3 pieces

hope this helps,

Clive

mackie - 3/6/04 at 08:09 AM

I think you can get the new transit in both front and rear wheel drive.

</ £0.02>

Noodle - 3/6/04 at 08:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mackie
I think you can get the new transit in both front and rear wheel drive.

</ £0.02>

That's what I understood too. My mate runs a business fixing Trannies (not blokes in frocks) and he says the newer ones are an utter pig to work on. He also says the boys in the local Ford dealer hate the FWD one due to it's difficulty in gaining access and servicing costs have risen accordingly.

The recent RWD versions have also become more difficult to work on. Older trannies need about 25 mins to remove the 'box, the newer RWD ones are well in excess of an hour. That can work out pretty expensive with main dealer labour rates when you consider the reverse procedure is often desired too

There again, he also knows a bloke who sells chip fat in vats for powering diesel vans.

Cheers,

Neil.

stephen_gusterson - 3/6/04 at 12:25 PM

i read somewhere that the cossie v6 was actually made in wellingbough, northants

atb

steve

quote:
Originally posted by CliveM
FWIW the cosworth block was stiffened, so a cologne V6 block is different.

How do I know?? Work for an engine remanufacturer and we found out the hard way!! Cosworth V6 blew up at 6000rpm while on a dyno!!! crank broke into 3 pieces

hope this helps,

Clive

nicklondon - 3/6/04 at 01:34 PM

transits avalible as fwd or rwd.and with manual or semi-auto gear boxes.buttons on steering wheel

DavidM - 3/6/04 at 06:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson
i read somewhere that the cossie v6 was actually made in wellingbough, northants

atb

steve

That's right Steve, Cosworth on Park Farm Industrial Estate.

Browser - 3/6/04 at 07:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
The new transit is deffo FWD.

Picture of 4x4 underbelly for your reference:

I dunno mate, I think the one in the piccy is RWD. Look where the alternator drivebelt is and, more importantly, that it is oriented as if the crank was running North-South. The runnign gear looks like i might be generic though i.e. bolt whatever engine and gearbox you want to it and it does the job.

Hellfire - 3/6/04 at 08:38 PM

Browser...

You obviously haven't followed the full thread The first paragraph was reference to transit's. The second paragraph was with reference to a Sierra 4x4

Hellfire - 3/6/04 at 08:41 PM

quote:

transits avalible as fwd or rwd.and with manual or semi-auto gear boxes.buttons on steering wheel

My brother's father in law has a Transit that isn't available in FWD or semi-auto, no buttons on steering wheel either Mind you it is a 1995 long bed!

CliveM - 4/6/04 at 07:09 AM

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

atb

steve

and re-manufactured here in Rushden!!

Clive

Browser - 4/6/04 at 08:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
Browser...

You obviously haven't followed the full thread The first paragraph was reference to transit's. The second paragraph was with reference to a Sierra 4x4

OK, I'll sit back down and be quiet then
(bugger!)

stephen_gusterson - 4/6/04 at 10:27 AM

are you the same clive that posted as jplly greengiant cos there would be two rushden clives on here otherwise...

quote:
Originally posted by CliveM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

atb

steve

and re-manufactured here in Rushden!!

Clive

CliveM - 4/6/04 at 11:50 AM

Nope, thats not me.... 2 Clives!!
I'm in Wellingborough, and yet to start anything
Mind you, have got a Sierra LSD and hubs ready to strip!!

stephen_gusterson - 4/6/04 at 02:01 PM

well, thats 2 in wellingbourough at least and me up the road in burton. If this was a disease near a power station people would draw conclusions

did you notice the meet next weds in the clubs and events section?

atb

steve