Board logo

Protecting the EFI fuel pump
Mark Allanson - 6/6/04 at 09:19 PM

If memory serves me right (it's been a while since I stripped the donor - tooooo long!). There is no filter protection for the fuel pump in the line from the fuel tank.

Is this OK, should I fit a filter? If Ford didn't bother, should I?

JoelP - 6/6/04 at 09:21 PM

i have no idea, but surely it can only help? since its only a few quid i would put one in.

Mark Allanson - 6/6/04 at 09:25 PM

Problem is that there is no 'off the shelf' one to fit, 15mm in and outlets

JoelP - 6/6/04 at 09:34 PM

ah you were saying that the other day...

well, if there is no filter available and no tube reducers, its probably not worth worrying about.

stephen_gusterson - 6/6/04 at 10:14 PM

I dont remeber there being one in my donor, and there isnt in my car now.

If there are several million sierras and granadas like that, why worry?

atb

steve

Mark Allanson - 6/6/04 at 10:34 PM

Steve, I am a born worrier!

theconrodkid - 7/6/04 at 07:46 AM

should be a filter before yr efi pump,remember you cant clean injectors out like you can carb jets

Mk-Ninja - 7/6/04 at 07:54 AM

There was a filter on the fuel pickup in my donor tank.

PeetBee - 9/6/04 at 11:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
should be a filter before yr efi pump,remember you cant clean injectors out like you can carb jets

On my Sierra, the filter was between the pump and the engine, so maybe you can do the same?

blueshift - 9/6/04 at 02:59 PM

I'm not sure if the rover v8 EFI has a filter before the pump in normal installation, but after hearing mumblings about EFI fuel pump clearances and getting jammed with tiny bits of dirt, we opted to play it safe.

we went into our local motor factors and told them the pipe size, they found us a filter off a VW van (or something) for a few quid.

Maybe the big manufacturers have enough quality control that they can be sure of having no dirt in the tank that's going to jam the fuel pump, and maybe they prefer to keep manufacturing costs down and sell more fuel pumps to suckers who got some dirt in their fuel?

My conculsion was that we are better with a pre-filter than risking running without.

hth

zetec - 9/6/04 at 04:10 PM

Agree, pump is not hard to change or that expensive, but easier to fit a pre pump when building and have peace of mind. I really cleaned my tank after fitting connections etc but still found odd pieces of plastic.

NS Dev - 9/6/04 at 04:47 PM

Mark, I am a born worrier too but as I said on the other thread, I didn't use a prefilter cos I struggled to get one and it was simpler without.

What I did do was make sure my tank was scrupulously clean before I filled it for the first time (washed out with a bit of clean petrol a couple of times) and then always make sure no dirt goes in when I fill it up (not always easy on a grasstrack car, much easier on a seven!)