Board logo

Engine stabiliser or torque arm thingy - needed or not?
plentywahalla - 31/10/10 at 05:13 PM

On all the front engined rear drive cars I have ever had (and usually taken to bits at some stage), I don't remember having stabilising bars at the front or the engine block to absorb torque.

But all the transverse engined cars all seem to have them.

Do I need to fit one when an engine designed for east/west mounting is fitted north south? The engine has new mounts fitted at approx centre of mass either side of the block in conventional way.

In the photo archives I have seen some installations where these bars have been fitted, and some without.

It makes some sense that in a transverse installation the whole drivetrain will twist from the torque reaction or driving the wheels and this needs to be restrained.

But then the engine/gearbox is delivering the same torque whether it is driving the wheels directly, or through a diff.

jacko - 31/10/10 at 05:24 PM

Hi
I made this to stop my engine moving side to side before i fitted this the alternator taped on the chassis
Description
Description

So i would say fit one
Jacko

MakeEverything - 31/10/10 at 06:07 PM

The mini used to have one fitted to the thermostat housing.

Im considering one for mine, but need it running first!!

martyn_16v - 31/10/10 at 07:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by plentywahalla
But then the engine/gearbox is delivering the same torque whether it is driving the wheels directly, or through a diff.

No it isn't, unless your diff has a 1:1 ratio.

plentywahalla - 31/10/10 at 07:31 PM

Very good point ...

I did think about that but came to the conclusion that the torque generated by the engine would be the same irrespective of what it was driving.

but ... I suppose the diff act as a torque multiplier when incorporated into the engine/gearbox assembly.

So is the answer no, the thingy is not needed?

jacko - 31/10/10 at 08:06 PM

The answer is yes as far as i am concerned
see post above
I thing it depends on your engine mounts rubbers mine are horizontal but if they were say 45% it would stop the engine / box rocking
Jacko

plentywahalla - 31/10/10 at 08:43 PM

My engine mounts are about 40 degrees to horizontal.