Board logo

Sump Baffling - XE
Chris Green - 25/1/05 at 05:26 PM

Has anyone got any information which would be of use with regards to baffling the sump on an XE?

The sump can remain standard (ie. it doesn't need to be chopped to fit in the car).

Is it best to use a steel sump off an 8v 2.0?

and what configuration of baffles should I use? Has anyone got any photo's to help?

Cheers,

Chris.

Ben_Copeland - 25/1/05 at 05:41 PM

The steel sump off a 8v would be easier if you cant weld to the alloy one. Other than that i dont think there's much difference in them.

Chris Green - 27/1/05 at 12:15 PM

thanks Ben.

It will be easy for me to weld the steel one. I could do that myself!

Are they dificult to get hold of?

Also, are there any sketches available, so I can get an idea of how to baffle the sump?

Ben_Copeland - 27/1/05 at 03:01 PM

Just be careful not to blow holes in it!!!

No pictures sorry, i've got a steel sump which i'm gonna cut and weld into a shallow sump. 2.0L 8v's are common engines

ned - 27/1/05 at 03:37 PM

so common even i've got one..

...anyone want it? collect the engine, get a free steel sump!

Ned.

Chris Green - 27/1/05 at 04:46 PM

where are you based ned? and what engine is it? the 115bhp, or 130bhp one?

EDIT! Just realised. Surrey is a bit far for me sorry.

[Edited on 27-1-05 by Chris Green]

Chris Green - 31/1/05 at 01:17 PM

ok, as I don't really know what I'm doing, I might buy one.

How much would a baffled sump cost?

Thank you.

NS Dev - 31/1/05 at 03:24 PM

There are a few options (I'm using this engine myself, and have in several cars in the past)

SBD/QED/Westfield sump, all basically the same, baffled alloy, non-winged, 100mm deep.

Caterham wet sump (from Caterham HPC), this is what I am using, it's ridiculously shallow (90mm to the bottom of the skid fins) any shallower and the flywheel becomes the lowest part!! This sump is baffled with foam, which is very good at stopping surge but can leave the oil aerated.

Opel Manta 1800 sump, cast alloy, big winged sump, quite tall but should be ok if you have a good bonnet clearance. Quite scarce, and seem to fetch about £95 or so now!

Yukspeed steel sump (finished or as diy kit) Big winged again, and not that shallow again, similar to manta 1800 alloy one in terms of depth/width.

Diy one made from welded up cavalier 1.8/2.0 OHC or carlton 1.8/2.0 OHC.

Chris Green - 2/2/05 at 12:23 PM

ok, looking at those options, I'm going to have to baffle my own!

So any pictures would be very useful.

Thank you Dev.