Board logo

Dimensions for a Zetec Sump
MattCraneCustoms - 21/1/07 at 10:12 PM

Hi All,
I have a 2l Blacktop zetec, and Im about to cut the sump, however I haven't a car to put it in. So can anyone tell me how much I have to shorten it by? I've taken the black steel section off, but havent found any definitive measurements anywhere.
Thanks,
Matt

brycheiniog - 21/1/07 at 10:28 PM

These pictures might help you:

http://www.scholarengines.co.uk/Lowline%20sump.htm

Jonathan

rjs - 21/1/07 at 10:28 PM

this sites interesting
www.toyne.org.uk/zetec-fitment.html
but no i cant see any sizes on that either.
ive got a 1.8 silver top & can measure the sump in the morning if thats any help ?

MattCraneCustoms - 21/1/07 at 10:39 PM

yeah if you could it would be great, though the silver top has a one piece sump? So i'd have to deduct my alloy section from your measurement, but thats cool.
Thanks
Matt

snippy - 21/1/07 at 11:37 PM

I have a one piece zetec sump, just had it altered. It`s about 15 1/2 cms deep now its been cut. Scholars website mentions they chop their sumps to a depth of 16cm.

stevebubs - 22/1/07 at 12:22 AM

Think I lopped a pretty much a straight inch off it...

Drop me a U2U to remind me and I'll measure it tomorrow for you.

Stephen

rjs - 22/1/07 at 08:32 AM

hi

just had a look at mine best i can tell it is about 16.5cm ish . so it does look like some where round there is right .

TangoMan - 22/1/07 at 02:51 PM

I cut mine to 6 inches deep from the mating face. It lines up exactly with the bottom of the bellhousing so would seem ideal.

If you go shorter than this you risk smashing you bellhousing if you find a hump.

I know smashing your sump is not ideal but I would rather that than tear the gearbox off as the repair will be easier.

bob - 22/1/07 at 03:01 PM

I tries to copy the scholar sump and milled the bottom off a 2 litre sump at 165mm,the problem now is i am having trouble finding anyone who can tig who can be bothered to play with it. Rescued attachment building 005.jpg
Rescued attachment building 005.jpg

bob - 22/1/07 at 03:02 PM

and again Rescued attachment building 006.jpg
Rescued attachment building 006.jpg

whitestu - 22/1/07 at 03:30 PM

Get a Focus sump - no need to chop it then.

Stu

stevebubs - 23/1/07 at 11:59 PM

These pics may help

ignore my shoddy brazing!

stevebubs - 24/1/07 at 12:11 AM

165mm was the consensus when I asked way back wehn.

Ended up taking the rational approach of chopping it to match the profile of the Type 9 bellhousing.

FWIW, getting the steel bit off the ali was a bitch of a job on my engine - that ford black sealant does a seriously good job - and you have to remove the steel bit before you can remove the pickup which prevents you removing the ali part.

The black stuff did such and impressive job I bought a tube of it to stick the sump back together. 2 and bit years on and no leaks....

stevebubs - 24/1/07 at 12:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by bob
I tries to copy the scholar sump and milled the bottom off a 2 litre sump at 165mm,the problem now is i am having trouble finding anyone who can tig who can be bothered to play with it.

Try the Local College....