Board logo

R1 airbox
nitram38 - 25/5/07 at 09:27 AM

I have the R1 airbox with my 05 engine and to keep things simple I want to retain it on my car.
The engine will be in the normal orientation of a bike but at the rear of the car.
The airbox has a triangular opening to the filter underneath so I will need to duct it to try and take advantage of some of the ram air.
Does anyone have a picture of the standard duct for the front of the R1 to the airbox, before I set about making a custom duct?

Peteff - 25/5/07 at 10:25 AM

Ram air will probably not affect the fuelling in a car as it doesn't really come into effect till you are into 3 figure mph. You will be better off ducting cool air though.

nitram38 - 25/5/07 at 10:37 AM

It has got to help with hp a bit by pressurizing the airbox. Afterall, that is what most racecars do.
I would just prefer it rather than just a simple duct.
Although it will be noisy I will have the opportunity to put the inlet right behind my left ear!
I will be wearing a crash helmet.

ChrisGamlin - 25/5/07 at 03:34 PM

Yep but as Pete says ram air of any sort (it doesnt matter which, it all uses the same air!) has very little effect below 90-100mph because the air pressure increase simply isn't very much.

By all means plumb it in if you can, but I wouldnt compromise other aspects of the setup just so you have ram air in place.

MikeRJ - 25/5/07 at 03:39 PM

Some numbers to back up the ineffectiveness of ram air at lower speeds:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1129295&highlight=ram+air&forum_id=1

mangogrooveworkshop - 25/5/07 at 05:36 PM

Rescued attachment Yam-R1-2007-Engine.jpg
Rescued attachment Yam-R1-2007-Engine.jpg

mangogrooveworkshop - 25/5/07 at 05:40 PM

Rescued attachment Aaaairbox.jpg
Rescued attachment Aaaairbox.jpg

nitram38 - 25/5/07 at 05:52 PM

The airbox on my R1 has a triangular opening underneath and not a duct like that one.