Board logo

Oil Cooler plumbing
RazMan - 13/9/07 at 09:50 AM

My Duratec V6 has an Oil / water heat exchanger which is mounted under the oil filter. When I sorted out the cooling sytem I left this oil cooler out of the loop but I now think it will be worthwhile connecting it to keep oil temps down a bit. The trouble is I can't remember how it was originally plumbed in

It has 15mm hoses so it can't simply go in-line between rad and engine (32mm) or it would restrict the flow.
So how can I connect it? Do I split the rad return into two 15mm pipes to share the flow or have I missed something obvious?(not unusual)

[Edited on 13-9-07 by RazMan]

BenB - 13/9/07 at 11:55 AM

I'd personally keep the majority of the flow going through the radiator and use a 32-15-32 T-piece to take some flow off for the oil / water transfer thingy... At least that's how it's done on the ST engine oil / water cooler...

bimbleuk - 13/9/07 at 12:07 PM

Either as above or maybe T into the heater matrix pipes? That's what I'm doing on the similar Ford water/oil cooler on my Toyota engine. I don't have a heater matrix so all the flow goes through the oil cooler and back to the head. No cooling problems encountered so far.

RazMan - 13/9/07 at 01:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by BenB
I'd personally keep the majority of the flow going through the radiator and use a 32-15-32 T-piece to take some flow off for the oil / water transfer thingy... At least that's how it's done on the ST engine oil / water cooler...

Something like this? Surely the cooler wouldn't get much flow would it?

[Edited on 13-9-07 by RazMan] Rescued attachment Oil Cooler Flow.jpg
Rescued attachment Oil Cooler Flow.jpg

RazMan - 13/9/07 at 01:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bimbleuk
Either as above or maybe T into the heater matrix pipes? That's what I'm doing on the similar Ford water/oil cooler on my Toyota engine. I don't have a heater matrix so all the flow goes through the oil cooler and back to the head. No cooling problems encountered so far.

My heater matrix is controlled by a solenoid valve which means that when the heater is turned off there wouldn't be any flow through the cooler if it was connected in series with the matrix.

MkIndy7 - 13/9/07 at 02:26 PM

Also the heater matrix is kept at the higher engine operating temperature usually.

Would the bottom hose be the best place for it?.
This is surely the coldest water in the system and thus has the greatest cooling capacity (Presumably the best place to give you maximum cooling capacity, it shouldn't "over cool it" if it has a oil thermostat as part of the oil cooler system)

As for the diagram it should flow some water through it, Do you not have the haynes for the original car or find it online somewhere.