Board logo

V6 PRV B280e - Tuning
jamesalx - 5/11/07 at 02:13 PM

HELP!

When I take my B280E engine out of my Volvo 760 GLE I'm going to give it an overhaul:

Valves
Springs
Cam Chains
Head Gaskets
Spark Plugs
HT Leads
Oil Filter
Polish the heads.

I wanted to know if you could give me any pointers:

Anything I have missed of my list of repayments?
Stuff I have missed and things to give it a bit more Power?

I was thinking/hoping to supercharge it, will I need to upgrade my valve springs?

Thanks

James

ned - 5/11/07 at 02:20 PM

volvosport is your man

Volvorsport - 5/11/07 at 02:28 PM

a decent set of exhaust manifolds .

theres not a greal you do if your sticking with lh2.2 fuel injection .

turbo/supercharge isnt cheap - itll involve rods/pistons or at least whatever alpine/renault used for theirs .

you may get away wit a modest amount of boost upto 7/8 psi .

maybe worth a shot at some alpine renault forums to see if theres any second hand stuff about .

otherwise

www.turbobricks.com search for john lane

or the volvo owners club , youll find me in both - and the majority will shout TURBO to you , since you know you want to do it .

the eagle premier was sold in the US with bigger bores so you can enlarge the capacity , of course thats more money again . Best bet is to overhaul it , and 3 angle valve seats , but dont go to far with it - itll cost load before you get it in the car .

and after all that your still stuck on going faster, i wouldnt bother with the std engine and start with an alpine or r25 turbo lump .

jamesalx - 5/11/07 at 05:38 PM

Thanks Volvorsport thats loads to look at, I’ll get you a pint if we ever cross paths.

EFI system would go with something like MegaSquirt or make my own as I’m a programmer, never one to shirk a programming challenge.

I was thinking a low boost supercharger (Eaton roots of a Mini Copper S?), MegaSquirt EFI, new exhaust manifold, polished heads and new valves and springs.

I don’t have a lot of cash at the moment so might do the overhaul and valves and come back to the rest.

Or I could get all Veyron on your ass and get two and make a W12

Volvorsport - 5/11/07 at 05:49 PM

this might help you along .

http://www.ultrapartsltd.co.uk/Appguide/Web_Index.htm

what you doing with the gearbox ?

you can fit the volvo manual box , but youll need to spend £200 on getting a flywheel machined if you use the std injection .

basically the v6s were very rare with manual boxes , so even if you found a renault one it wont match the fuel injection/clutch etc , so youll need to think about an alternative trigger .

theres a chap whos converted a v6 to manual , it wasnt easy as you think !

jamesalx - 5/11/07 at 06:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Volvorsport
What you doing with the gearbox ?

I think I’m going to keep it as is. But he's the clever bit err... well maybe, take some presser switches, some solenoids and a microprocessor and you have a flappy paddle system.

Like I said never one to shirk a programming challenge.

[Edited on 5/11/07 by jamesalx]

Volvorsport - 5/11/07 at 06:22 PM

yes , that can be done , note the 760 v6 auto doesnt have eletrically controlled solenoids , the straight six ones do - a chap in the states did exactly what your talking about .

perhaps you might be able to put the aw34 onto as71 bellhousing .

jamesalx - 5/11/07 at 06:31 PM

quote:
eletrically controlled solenoids

I was going to go old school and just make it move a modified shifter

I dont have the money or space to get diffrent gear boxes, trying to work with what I have.

Volvorsport - 5/11/07 at 06:34 PM

well i suppose thats doable .!!

gearbox is wide at the bottom - take that into acount when making the chassis , and your legs are in the way !

keeping it in 3 , itd pull from very low to err 90 mph .

what year is the volvo ?

[Edited on 5/11/07 by Volvorsport]

jamesalx - 5/11/07 at 08:40 PM

quote:
and your legs are in the way !

Ah! Will look in to that.

quote:
keeping it in 3, itd pull from very low to err 90 mph .

In the Volvo it may pull a bit higher possibly, maybe, 110 not that I would know or have ever tried. Wonder what that would be like in a car 1ton lighter, wonder how much more that would pull.

quote:
what year is the volvo ?

Volvorsport - 5/11/07 at 11:37 PM

yours should have IRS if its a saloon , if not itll be a live axle - check the axle tag for the number , your looking for 1041 or 1045 , means its a factory locker .

jamesalx - 6/11/07 at 08:47 PM

It's got the top of the range GLE self-leveling independent suspention.