Board logo

intercooler pipes
beaver34 - 27/2/12 at 08:12 PM

im using 63mm or 2.5" hard pipes, i will need to make some intercooler hoses to join the silicone ends on my engine build

can you buy a tool the bead the ends of normal pipe? as cooler pipes on eBay seem really expensive

what have you guys done?

thanks

madteg - 27/2/12 at 08:30 PM

Mine are just clamped on to straight pipe, i am running 15PSI and they have not blown off yet.

beaver34 - 27/2/12 at 08:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by madteg
Mine are just clamped on to straight pipe, i am running 15PSI and they have not blown off yet.

im looking at running 20 psi, just dont want the hassle, first place its going is london on a trailer to get mapped carnt afford it to go wrong

imp paul - 27/2/12 at 08:46 PM

i made this tool and it works sweet to put a bead on pipe home made locost style pipe sw
home made locost style pipe sw

all you need is 1 mole grips

2 exhaust clamp
3 very thick steel washer weld both to the grips as above and as you can see it does a nice job on steel tube cheers paul

[Edited on 27/2/12 by imp paul]

macc man - 27/2/12 at 08:46 PM

If the pipe is of a thin gauge you could use an Oyster tool to form a bead. Used to be on sale in B&Q but getting hard to find now.

mark chandler - 27/2/12 at 08:47 PM

You can easily make a beading tool, just modify an old pair of mole grips.

If you have a google you will see hand held jobs they just have a ball and socket, so grind up a stamping edge and socket in the jaws.

Regards Mark

Chippy - 27/2/12 at 10:51 PM

In one of Dave Walkers write ups in PPC he just tapped three outward facing dents in the end of the pipe, seemed to work for him. HTH Ray

rdodger - 27/2/12 at 10:53 PM

Intercooler pipe beader | eBay

westy turbo - 28/2/12 at 11:34 AM

merlin and many others have them in different bends,angles. or u need custom do them?

beaver34 - 28/2/12 at 11:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by westy turbo
merlin and many others have them in different bends,angles. or u need custom do them?

need to custom them, and that work sout cheaper as far as i can see