Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Vauxhall XE - Type 9
Stew

posted on 29/5/04 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
Vauxhall XE - Type 9

Hi chaps,

Anyone know what is involved in joining the Vauxhall 16V to a Ford Type 9 transmission, and what the likely costs will be for parts? Also any web links to sites offering the parts required, or to builders who have already done it would be great...

Cheers

Sit down, shut up, and hang on!!

Ben_Copeland

posted on 29/5/04 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
The bellhousing is about £170 new, plus the clutch arm. The clutch parts are a mix of vx and ford t9 bits i think.

Darren @ GTS can do hydraulic clutch bits if you prefer (apparently)GTS

Several places do the bellhousing and bits. SBD, Yukspeed, Rally Design(i think), etc or look on the other car boards for 2nd hand bits, come up occasionally (just missed the last one)

Think then you need to fit a spigot bearing into the flywheel of the vx 16v (not got that far yet, so dont know where to get it,ask NED,etc)

HTH

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

phelpsa

posted on 29/5/04 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
There is a bell housing for 2.0l xe to type 9 on ebay at the moment. Sorry, no link.

Adam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NS Dev

posted on 29/5/04 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
be aware that you need the "vertical" bellhousing not the "7 degree" one, and also get the right length bellhousing for the tyep of type 9 you are using i.e. long or short input shaft ( v6 or 4cyl 'box)

The spigot bearing can be had from SBD, QED etc etc but is a Vauxhall part, unfortunately I have lost the part number!!

Ben_Copeland

posted on 29/5/04 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phelpsa
There is a bell housing for 2.0l xe to type 9 on ebay at the moment. Sorry, no link.

Adam

Been sold before action ended

Ben

Enter Your Details Here

Stew

posted on 29/5/04 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers fellas, doesn't sound too daunting

Sit down, shut up, and hang on!!

skippad

posted on 29/5/04 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
I got all bits from yukspeed, Barford hill,
York.
Bellhousing(straight not 7%), £140
Clutch arm £12
Spiggot bearing £6
Use Vauxhall pressure plate, sierra friction plate & release bearing, capri adjustable cable.
I hope this helps

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ben_Copeland

posted on 29/5/04 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds a fair price for new

Dont forget you then need a modified sump, and carbs/tb's

Ben

Enter Your Details Here

NS Dev

posted on 31/5/04 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
Ahhhhhh, be wary of using the sierra friction plate, they are too thick for the vauxhall pressure plate travel, and the clutch will drag. Plus side is if you are a cheapskate you can just use a worn sierra plate which will be a bit thinner.

Better alternatives are to either buy an uprated Helix plate from Yukspeed or SBD etc, (£120) or if that sounds a bit pricey, get an old sierra plate and get it relined with vauxhall thickness facings.

ned

posted on 1/6/04 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
I have a worn sierra friction plate

One other thing to add, for the sump you can either use an ally westfield caterham one, or the locost option is to get hold of an 8v vauxhall sump and cut and weld it (they are steel, the 16v one is ally)

If running carbs a cheap way to run the ignition it by using an old 1.6 cavalier dizzy, coil + loom.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

skippad

posted on 1/6/04 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
I don't seem to be experiencing any clutch drag on my setup, it's been that way for 10 months.
Unless it was'nt a Sierra plate!
Come to think of it, when my friend in my local motor factors was looking for a sierra clutch in the depths of his stores, he produced 7" 23 spline plate in a box with no details on it, so it could be off something else!.
All i know is it fitted and cost me tenner.

NS Dev

posted on 2/6/04 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
a 7" plate?

the vauxhall clutch is way bigger than that?

ned

posted on 2/6/04 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
my pinto clutch plate is identical in size (overall) to the vauxhall plate. i think the friciton area was slightly larger.

someone told me that an old ford v4 or v6 plate was better thogh ?!

Ned.

NS Dev

posted on 2/6/04 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
sorry, was in a hurry and didn't explain myself, but didn't want people to go thinking that the XE 16v has a 7" clutch!, think it was just a typo back there, I think he meant 9" not 7"
skippad

posted on 2/6/04 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
sorry it was late i was tired.
Sierra clutch plate is actually 8.5"
Anyways it works.

chriscook

posted on 16/6/04 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
Just been having a look at the lightened flywheel and AP clutch I picked up a while ago for almost nothing. Aafter a conversation with super clutch, who were very helpfull, I think i am back to using standard(ish) bits. Can anyone tell me what sierra friction plate is the one that works best or are all the pinto ones the same?

Also does anyone know what the spigot bearing is out of or even the part number?

Thanks,
Chris

ned

posted on 16/6/04 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
Spigot bearing from yukspeed, about 6-7 pounds. If you're thinking of selling that flywheel and clutch, let me know

Ned.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.