Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pinto distributors
jolson

posted on 14/6/04 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
Pinto distributors

I'm trying to sort out the electronics for my Pinto engine (F-reg). I've just stuck a posting in the Wanted section for the proper parts, but I was wondering if anyone knew of reasonable substitutions that would work with the engine. I'm planning on changing the carb, so I don't need to keep the same ECU as the original engine (with the stepping motor on the standard carb). The obvious questions are:

- will the dizzy/electronics from another Pinto work on this engine? There's a 1.8 Pinto in the breakers here that still has the relevant bits; would that work? What about the advance curves.... are they compatible?

- Do I need a vacuum advance? There's a non-vacuum advance dizzy on Ebay finishing tonight, but I'm sure I read somewhere that it's better to keep the v-a and that Weber recommends a v-a dizzy for all it's carbs.

- is there any comprehensive websites that can show me which bits are compatible? Maybe something with part numbers?

Sorry if I'm being a bit thick about this stuff, but I've only owned diesels for the last 20 years and ignition isn't somthing you have to consider too often

Cheers

John

the man with a plan

posted on 14/6/04 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

I have recently aquired an old-ish 2.o carb'd pinto, and my plan is to buy the Megasquirt kit with the optional ignition board, and then to make my own throttle bodies. This (hopefully) will allow me to program any fuel and ignition map I like. The kit costs about £100 and the software is free!

See http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html for more info.

Cheers

NS Dev

posted on 14/6/04 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
rather than making your own throttle bodies, it will be easier to get some motorbike ones from a breakers ( around £75 for a set of four from a honda blackbird, these are 42mm bore and have idle air bleeds top help with setting up.)
ady8077

posted on 14/6/04 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Hi John

The early 2.0 and all 1.6 pinto engined Sierra's use a very simple ignition

Dizzy with vac adv, ign mod only 5 wires and a matching coil

I've fitted the lot to my 2.0 pinto and it runs ok

Adrian

ray.h.

posted on 14/6/04 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
Ive also used a lucas setup from an early sierra that was easy to install and should provide all the sparks i need.Ive been told that i should use the non vacuum dizzy to run with my delortos but the manifold already has a vacuum take off so im going to give it a go,wish me luck.
jolson

posted on 14/6/04 at 11:24 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Adrian

Did you have to swap the dizzy as well as all the electronics, or did they just plug into the dizzy you had? So far I haven't seen many distributors, but they all have had the same 3 lead connector on the side.

Peteff

posted on 15/6/04 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
The one I used http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=showphoto&photo=ignition_module.jpg
was on an 85 2.0ltr and needed the distributor from the same car. The 1.6 used it as well,it's the inductive discharge system I think.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

bonerp

posted on 15/6/04 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
I use a standard pinto Ford dizzy with vacuum advance (with DHLAs) and it works fine.

Paul

ady8077

posted on 15/6/04 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Hi John

I had to change the dizzy as i'm using an injection pinto as a donor but using carbs

I got all the bits off the same car, including the wiring for £15

Adrian

jolson

posted on 19/6/04 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
Got one......

New in the breakers this morning was a 2.0 G-reg transit with all the bits I was looking for. 15 minutes and £10 later, I was a very happy owner of a complete pinto ignition system.

cheers

John

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.