Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel pipe research (long!) - for discussion!
sebastiaan

posted on 27/4/11 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
As I said before, do not use LPG hose for petrol. LPG is far less aggressive than petrol. Also. The couplings in that link are prone to blowing off at higher pressures. I'd avoid them like the plague!

The best solution seems to be to use proper hose as per OP

keithometune

posted on 10/5/11 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
I have used this type of fitting(http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=1825333) for emergency repairs to plastic fuel pipe and had no problems. As they are intended for airlines they are designed to run at a higher pressure than the fuel systems, you can succesfuly join plastic to plastic or plastic to metal, i don`t know how they perform under long term exposure to petrol though.
keith

UncleFista

posted on 22/5/11 at 01:21 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info David, we've had the same problems with dodgy fuel pipe, it's good to know there's a fix
The vague smell of petrol just reminds me of the pictures on here over the years of peoples pride and joy going up in flames as they watch, admittedly it's only happened a couple of times but it's enough to prey on my mind.

I ordered 2m of 7.6mm J30R10 from Hose World a couple of days ago, this morning I received 2m of 1/2" hose with J30R7 stamped on it...

I've fired off an email, we'll see what they do to fix it

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

atomic

posted on 17/7/11 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
Best bet is always Teflon hose for fuel supply.
I use AN Motorsport a lot for hose supplies and fittings http://www.anmotorsport.co.uk

Viper offer a very good VFM Teflon & Stainless Steel outer braid hose.
http://www.viperperformance.co.uk/productsearch.php?xscId=9816

flibble

posted on 17/7/11 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
What pressure does the Viper hose stay safe to though? Couldn't see any ratings or mention of Injection, just carbs?
PSpirine

posted on 17/7/11 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
Very interesting! Just went to the garage to take a look at the hose I purchased.

Turns out its DIN 73379 which is the same as 30R7, so I suppose not too bad.

Point of note, this is Goodyear fuel hose purchased from Halfords, and it's cheaper in Halfords than anywhere online (£3 a meter, about £2.60 with trade card), so I'm impressed that it's not "unmarked". You have to ask for it at the parts counter and apparently a lot of stores are no longer stocking it, but it's good stuff!

atomic

posted on 2/8/11 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flibble
What pressure does the Viper hose stay safe to though? Couldn't see any ratings or mention of Injection, just carbs?

Most SS braided telfon host of bore sizes typical of fuel hose (lets say -6, -8AN) are in the region of a minimum bust pressure of 5000psi and a temp range of -49 DegF to +150 DegF.

So you can rest assured it's burst pressure is far in excess of the most common prduction fuel pressure of 47psi.

[Edited on 2/8/11 by atomic]

snowy2

posted on 23/10/11 at 06:24 AM Reply With Quote
As a add on to this post....
I have used for the last 4 years on my car black plastic air line pipe from HGV trailers (i believe it is made from ptfe) in two places i have added spedifit snap connectors to enable easy removal of the engine and/or carb. The connectors are air tight so end up fuel tight as well. There is no visible deterioration of the pipes or the connectors and after 25000 miles i have had no problems including driving on the roads in France around Paris on one of the hottest days of the year in rush hour traffic (over 30 degrees)

sometimes you are the pigeon, most of the time the statue.

gdische

posted on 7/3/12 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
While I was in the USA recently, I ventured into auto parts store to enquire about fuel hose. After much deliberation, I came away with five feet of hose marked with this …

GATES FUEL INJECTION HOSE 5/16 INCH (7.9 MM) 225PSI WP BARRICADE TM GREENSHIELD TM TECHNOLOGY

MULTI-FUEL & BIO-FUEL COMPATIBLE CARB No. Q-09-019 4219BF EPA 40 CPR 1051.110 CARB No. Q-09-019 MADE IN USA CS031711 X7 13:11

Here’s a link to the brochure about this

http://gates.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=12468&location_id=5348" target="_blank">Ga tes Barricade brochure

In the brochure is the claim “Exceeds SAE J30R14T2”. The manager in the store said that it therefore exceeded SAE J30R7 and 9.

I hope this is useful!

Geoff

andyfiggy2002

posted on 8/3/12 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
if only they would sell it in europe i wouldnt have to change my hoses every few years
Hellfire

posted on 1/7/13 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
We needed some fuel hose because the stainless steel braided PTFE fuel hose we originally used, had started to decay and I remembered this post from a few years ago. A quick trawl on e-bay revealed this stuff: eBay Item

Ordered a couple of metres and although it doesn't look as good as SS braided hose, it is rated J30R9 so should last a bit longer and hopefully stop the smell of fuel when the garage door is opened.

Phil

redturner
Senior Builder

Posts 449
Registered 9/11/12

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Run 2 ltr Black Top in single seater race car.

posted on 21/7/13 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
10 mm nylon fuel line 7.5 metre length on eBay (end time 30-Apr-11 10:44:22 BST) is the stuff many OEMs use, I did ask about modern fuels, here's the response:

Hi Pete,
Thanks for asking.

Our supplier has been supplying fuel and hose products for 30 years, and states that this problem does not apply to his nylon fuel line, there can be problems with rubber hoses with modern fuel, but we don;t sell rubber hoses. SUpplier confirms there is no degradation even with 100% ethanol fuel in the nylon hose we supply.

Hope this is OK for you and look forward to receiviing your order. We can supply in 100 ft lengths as well if you are interested.
Best Regards
James
We used this type of hose for the high pressure braking systems on trucks and was OEM. The trick when putting the fittings on is NOT to heat the pipe end to soften it to get the barbs in, but to clamp the pipe, then knock the fitting in with a couple of smart blows. We did this with hose up to 12mm bore and I made some simple clamps by drilling a suitable hole through a small block of wood, cut it in two then clamp in the vice, similar to a brake pipe swage former but longer. Just have sufficient pipe sticking through to take the fitting, anymore and the pipe will kink.........

Rob55

posted on 13/8/13 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
25m of Gates Barricade can be imported to the UK for £44 per 25' Reel. Works out at £5.77/m which seems ok in my book and I am sure you could resell any length leftover afterwards. It is fully ethanol compatible and claims to have the lowest permeation in the market.

I have some on order, just thought I would share with fellow LC'ers.

See: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110986471339

[Edited on 13/8/13 by Rob55]

se7ensport

posted on 13/9/13 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
We needed some fuel hose because the stainless steel braided PTFE fuel hose we originally used, had started to decay and I remembered this post from a few years ago. A quick trawl on e-bay revealed this stuff: eBay Item

Ordered a couple of metres and although it doesn't look as good as SS braided hose, it is rated J30R9 so should last a bit longer and hopefully stop the smell of fuel when the garage door is opened.

Phil

My J30R9 is knackered, it didn't even last 18mths: Fuel hose
Fuel hose

I need to find something better!

carboy0

posted on 4/1/15 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel hose

As well as posting and lurking here, I have an interest in classic cars. They also have the same problem with fuel hoses. There are many reports of 'rubber' fuel hoses rotting from the inside out, mostly from close to the fuel tank rather than the carb/engine area. As has been said already it's worst where the fuel sits in the hose whilst a car is in storage.

One of things that it took me some time get, was the the higher the SAE number doesn't necessarily mean the better the hose. It seems that the SAE codes also take into account internal pressure rating. R7 is OK for ethanol fuel in carbs of all types as the fuel pressure is fairly low. By comparison R9 has the same level of resistance to ethanol but is rated for high pressure fuel injection systems. R10 is for diesel type fuels with a 'bio' content. R6 has a low pressure rating and a little resiststance to ethanol.

This is a link to a page on Goodyear hoses.

http://www.veyance.com/ProductListing.aspx?folderid=1036

In my simplistic view, my rule of thum is;

1. SAE R9 good for fuel injected engines with fuel up to around an E10 rating (10% ethanol).
2. SAE R7 good for carbed engines with fuel up to around an E10 rating (10% ethanol).

There is a really good piece of research at the FBHVC website here, which looks at how fuels affects all elements of the fuel system, including plastics and metals. It also reviews the effect of some the inhibitor additives that can be used to slow down the effects of modern fuels. Long and detailed but very informative.

http://www.fbhvc.co.uk/legislation-and-fuels/fuel-information/

Chris
www.marinacoupe.co.uk

scimjim

posted on 22/1/15 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
R6/7/8 is low pressure for carb engines (not biodiesel) - differing temp ranges.
R9 is high pressure for injection systems (inc biodiesel)
R10 is low pressure "in tank" hose

From the SAE pages, not Internet myth

http://www.volksbolts.com/faq/SAEJ30.pdf

Paul Turner

posted on 17/5/17 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
First time out this year my fuel pump decided to stop working leaving me to the mercy of the RAC. While it was up on stands it made sense to change the 12mm hoses from the swirl pit to the HP pump since they were due to be changed over the coming winter. Experience has shown that 4 years is long enough for these cotton braided hoses with modern fuel even if the DIN on the hose is equivalent to R7 hose.

Sytec don't sell hoses now so I bought some Cohline with the same DIN number from Advanced Fluid Solutions.

When I took the 3 year old Sytec hose off I expected it to be slightly hard but in fact it was still flexible and there were no cracks even were it goes over the swagings. Very different to previous hoses I have used, shame they don't do it any more, looks like it was working fine.

So its fingers crossed for the Cohline now.

Now for the worrying bit.

At the kit car show there were several stands selling R6 hose as "suitable for all modern fuels" which it clearly is not. How do they get away with it?

the_big_1

posted on 19/8/19 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
Hi guys,

I can now get in the UK SAE J30R9 at £6.64 per meter.
Guess this solves the leaking rubber pipe issues?

big_wasa

posted on 19/8/19 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
Not really, not unless its made by Gates.

I bought some of the eBay R9 fuel pipe and it was very very perished after 1 year.

the_big_1

posted on 19/8/19 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
The CoDan pipe seems to be recommended as good R9?
the_big_1

posted on 20/8/19 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
Managed to get some SAE 30R14 T1 from Gates so hopefully that will suffice lol
MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 3/6/20 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
Where are people buying fuel pipe from and how much?

(Yes yes thread reserection - sorry but Adobe if you bought a year ago)

Oddified

posted on 3/6/20 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
I've been using Car Builder Solutions, they have Gates R7 but also have Cohline ethonal proof pipe which i've been using which is still soft and flexible like new after a couple of years. It's not cheap though.

Unlike some i bough of ebay a few years ago, supposed to be top spec and gates...obviously wasn't as it was rock hard after 10 months and starting to perish/leak!.

James

posted on 17/9/21 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
I thought this excellent thread was worth resurrecting in light of a recent post and introduction of E10.

Would anyone who (unlike me!) knows what they're talking about in this field be able to update it please?

Thanks,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 17/9/21 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
Good point & timely as I'm close to plumbing in fuel pipes. I've got R9 from a hopefully reputable supplier (twice cause I've taken so long I forgot I had any, only found the first lot when I went to put away the second lot!)

I'm hopeful R9 is still valid.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.