Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Nissan 200SX 1.8 turbo
BigDave

posted on 9/9/02 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
Nissan 200SX 1.8 turbo

Does anyone know much about this engine/car.

I'm driving onw around at the moment and it goes pretty well, shave a tonne off in weight, stick it in a locost and I think it would be pretty scary.

In fact does anyone know if the whole car would be suitable as a single donor?

All I know about it is:

Rear wheel drive
1.8 16v injection turbo 176ish bhp
0-60 at moment is about 7.5-8 secs
top speed is ment to be about 140mph.

Any more specs?

Cheers

Dave

gjn200

posted on 9/9/02 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Well I've got one and if yours is doing 60 in 7.5- 8 its nacked! Engine should be ok to fit but the electrics er theres about 50,000,000 wires go to the ecu (and there is no dizzy as such, each spark plug has its own coil on top of it).Would be fun though simply mods give 250 hp (mines about 230)

oh and top speed is off the clock......

Go here www.sxoc.com
and go on the forum, we're all friendly!!

Graham

Dunc

posted on 9/9/02 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Hav one too, built and stripped engine a number of times. Only thing to watch for is the oil feed pipe to the turbo. 169 standard without cat, can be upgraded with larger intercooler or fitted with chargecooler. Quite a heavy engine and plenum chamber sticks up a lot.

Disc brakes all round and rear also doubles as a drum for the handbrakes, multi point rear suspension but it all bolts to a subframe which is easlily removed.

Fecking nightmare to get turbo out but engine and gearbox are strong and can easily take an increase in power. Very regular oil changes are essential.

Had the car at 140 a few times, pulls very quickly up to then and could maybe do with higher gearing to increase top speed but then 5th gear acceleration would suffer. I'm looking around for a scrap one at the moment for spares and possible donor, might wait a few years when roadworthy ones become cheap enough.

dashin_dave

posted on 10/9/02 at 04:13 AM Reply With Quote
THE 1.8 200sx is powered by a DETUNED nissan CA18DET, theyre quite strong, and the lightest, most compact nissan turbo engine.
jap import spec ones will be approximately 184bhp standard. this is EASILY upgraded by putting in a simple bleed valve in the wastegate line, allowing you to run more boost (restrict it to no more than 12psi, or you'll do in the turbo). this will give you upto 20-30 bhp more. next up would be to boltint the slightly larger turbo off a nissan SR20det, which is a straight fit onto the manifold of the CA18, and will give you upto 50 hp or so, depending again on boost (12psi max, or ceremic wheel turbos split wheels).
next/alternate steps are to fit an intercooler (SR20 sunny GTIR arnt bad if your shopping cheap, or HKS are perfect if you wanna spend the cash)
also, you can have the injection on these reprogrammed quite easily, as nissan engines (unlike most jap engines) do not have a locked up map.
they are mated to a reasonably solid 5 speed manual box, which copes with the power no probs. do all these mods and you can expect about 250-260bhp at the flywheel without cracking the engine open. or, if you want to spend money, there is a huge range of parts for them in japan to make them punch out up to 4-500bhp... or almost 1hp:1kg in a locost... now thats power to weight...

dashin_dave

posted on 10/9/02 at 04:18 AM Reply With Quote
if you want a donor for one of these, the cheapest option i've seen in the UK is the earlier nissan silvia, same engine, same car actually, as its still called the silvia in japan even today (s15 model now though)
i've seen a few still MOT'd one available for about 700 quid.. an expensive donor, but worth it, when you consider alternate ways to get 250hp in a locost
regards
dave

dashin_dave

posted on 19/9/02 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
if anyone has been considering one of these as a donor there IS one in the current SW trade-it for £350, with a new turbo to boot..
probably be worth the trip to pick it up at that price..
regards
dave

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.