Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: K series?
Big Stu

posted on 30/9/02 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
K series?

I am currently running a locost with a 1300cc crossflow. But I think it is going to cost serious money to get the kind of performance I want out of it. So...

I was recomended to investigate the rover K series. I was looking at the 1.4 to start with (this is mainly due to insurance reasons). Has anyone got any advise (what gearbox and bell housing are suitable) Any advise would be great.

Or has anyone got any recomendations for a suitable engine, cheap light and around 100bhp?

Cheers

Stu

Bob da builder

posted on 30/9/02 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
wot about a 1600/1700 xflow,
using your existing mountings etc.... gona be quick and easy to fit!!

StuartA

posted on 30/9/02 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
When we were originally looking for an engine, we looked at a K Series, but a number of people seemed to think that they weren't very robust and the head would probably give us all sorts of grief it ever saw the high side of 150K miles. Not sure if this is the case with the later ones, but we were suitably put off... and now we are going for a lovely cheap and cheerful Zetec (I am gonna sack my accountant!)
stephen_gusterson

posted on 30/9/02 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
I did a survey on TOL a while back. all on that list seemed to rave about the K.

The survey of about 100 resondents showed that NO ONE actually used one!!!!!!!!

There was also a post from a guy that had run a vehicle recycling business. He had sold a lot of K engines on. He reconed that it was common for engines 60k up (not 150k!!!) to have warping and leaking problems.

I mentioned this to a guy at work who has an L reg 214. He said it had been using about a pint of water a week. Then it got a bit more. Took it into a garage, and guess what - head gasket eaten away and a skim needed.

These are attractive engines but need a special bell housing at about 150 quid to fit a type nine - cant remember who makes em tho.

If you use one, prepare at least to do some head work.

atb

steve

Big Stu

posted on 1/10/02 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
Ok, well now I am suitably put of the rover K series. Thats probably a good thing as last night I seen what a crossflow is capable of. So I am looking for a 1600cc block now. With the new block I am going to do the following in the following order if anyone has any other ideas please tell me.

1.4 branch exhaust(already have)
2.twin 40's
3.Stage 2 head.
4. High lift cam.
5. Electronic ignition.
6. Increase bore size.

Cheers for the advise guys.

JohnFol

posted on 1/10/02 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
Have a look at http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/pinto.htm

I know it's the Pinto engine but I know they have a section on x-flow. (just can't get to their site at the mo)

Bob da builder

posted on 1/10/02 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
if usin the X-flow there is a cheaper way of usin electronic ignition. fiesta electronic dizzy, fiat strada cap, 12 volt coil (remove balasted 10v and put in 12v cable from ignition)all fits like a glove and is cheaper than the illumination stuff.
also if you after x-flox stuff try Ian Harwood in cheshire on 0151 3392801 dose world wide p&p and knowes his stuff! dont quote me but last time i was talkin to him he had fresh bored/built 1700cc Kent cam,may have had head but no carbs/ignition etc but was £400 ish, didnt think that was to bad VFM. Its worth a call!

rob

(God my english is crap!!!)

johnston

posted on 1/10/02 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
i work for a distributor of cars parts (we supply mtr factors)

so u can usually tell how bad a car is by the amount of bits u stock and supply i.e. a lot of peugot suspension bushes in stock

but we dont keep more k series gaskets in stock than any other popular car

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.