Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Motorbike Engine Cradle
BigDawgV8

posted on 24/12/20 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
Motorbike Engine Cradle

Hi All and seasons greetings!

I’ve just started my first BEC project and have a long way to go!

Just thinking about the engine and mountings or cradle.

Can I buy the cradle somewhere or is it easy enough to make yourself?
Does the engine even have to mount in a cradle or does it depend on the make of engine?

Any help or advice appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

adithorp

posted on 26/12/20 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
It all depends on which works best for your chassis/engine combo.

My Fury has engine mounts from the lower chassis plates and an upper tie-bar to the top of the footwell rail. All Fury's I've can recall are similar. MK + MNR tend to have a cradle, usually consisting of two cross bars between the top rails and then bars across from them or brackets to the engine.

Ideally having a look how others have done it in the same chassis but that's difficult in current circumstances.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Parkstar

posted on 29/3/21 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
What chassis and engine are you using?

I'm part way through the same process, trying to mount a gen2 hayabusa engine in a westfield chassis.

There are lots of ways to do it, and engine mounts/cradles aren't that difficult to make if you're handy with a welder. However I've gone for an engine cradle from MK / Kit Car Direct in the hope that I can fabricate some mounting points to the chassis to use it, primarily because if it works then the engine side of the cradle is done for me! I also think it'll make engine removal/refitting in future easier as I can use the cradle to lift it in and out.

I'm about to offer up the engine in the chassis this week so I'll let you know how I get on!

Parkstar

posted on 19/4/21 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
Update on my plans to use the MK Indy engine cradle in my westfield.... not going to work!

I mean I'm sure I could make it work with a lot of extra chassis members etc to align with the cradle mounting points but it'll be messy, heavy and generally not a great solution. Instead I have got the engine in the right position for exhaust and propshaft, and I'll be fabricating my own cradle along the lines of the megabusa design and the MK one will be chopped up for parts!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.