Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Inboard front suspension
ady8077

posted on 9/6/04 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Joelp

I posted a pic on page 1 you commented on them ???

Top rocker and bottom wishbone

I reallised you were talking about locost wishbones but i thought i'd show the Stylus type because they look very easy to design, and do away with push rods and pivot blocks

Adrian

JoelP

posted on 10/6/04 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
oops, at least i never claimed to have a good memory!!!!!

i remember now. thats a good way of doing it, provided you can make it strong. a good approach might be to make it trianglar. i wonder what the weight difference is? my personal favourite is the other picture with a pushrod and simple rocker.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Gripenland

posted on 10/6/04 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
This is how I made my push rod suspension. The actual push rod in the pic is a dummy. I've got some aerofoil tubing that I'll use instead.

I think I made six prototypes before I made one that will not only will work, but also fit inside the car...

Pushrod suspension 2
Pushrod suspension 2

By moving the bottom fixationpoints of the shockabsorber, I can change the gear ratio from slightly progressive to linear.

[Edited on 10/6/04 by Gripenland]

kokos-racing.com

britishtrident

posted on 11/6/04 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
Lotus 33 style rocker arm inboard suspension isn't worth the trouble - a lot of Formula Ford manufacturers tried it in the late 70s and then reverted to conventional suspension before push rods came into fashion. The loads it places on the chassis and top wishbone are way above anything seen in the book chassis and it isn't hard to get in a situation where the wishbone and chassis flex gives more suspension movement than the springs.

Push rod suspension is a different matter the chassis loads are still very high but they are easier to contain and decent rising rate suspenion comes free. However look carefully at the changes made to FF chassis design when push rod suspension came in vogue -- the front part of the spaceframe became much more complex with lots and lots of extra tubes.

An easier alternative is pull rod suspension which MacLaren pioneered in the early 70s.

[Edited on 11/6/04 by britishtrident]

JoelP

posted on 11/6/04 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
i may be wrong, but i think steve graber is using pull rod suspension. his site is full of good stuff and pics.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

crbrlfrost

posted on 11/6/04 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
I think britishtrident's last post has to be one of the best on this thread. Cheers!
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.