Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: I really fancy having a crack at racing!
Andy D

posted on 2/12/10 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richd
Nice Honda, Who is that?????

Methinks you know who's Honda that is...

StevieB

posted on 3/12/10 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
NSSCC Does look interesting and I have looked at it previously.

Big attraction on that series is that the travelling (and money that goes with it) is cut down quite a bit. Plus I could enter my BEC Midget also - guess it would go in the pre '74 class.

Another one to add to increasingly long short list...

Andy D

posted on 4/12/10 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by StevieB
NSSCC Does look interesting and I have looked at it previously.

Big attraction on that series is that the travelling (and money that goes with it) is cut down quite a bit. Plus I could enter my BEC Midget also - guess it would go in the pre '74 class.

Another one to add to increasingly long short list...

Whilst I'm pretty sure a Bec Midget would fit into some class, I doubt if it would be competetive. It's a tricky one.. not a kit, and the engine would rule it out of the normal classes, so it would probably end up in the same class as space frame Busa engined Minis, and other space framed type cars.. All very light and powerfull, and usually on slick tyres.

I doubt very much if it would be allowed to run in class H (pre '74) I'm guessing the bike engine would rule that out... not seen it in writing though.. I've only seen two class H cars out. A Morgan and a Datsun 240Z.

If I was in your shoes I'd go for an ex stock hatch racer. I've seen a few for sale, all the race stuff fitted, and cheap as chips. Ideal first car, cheap to run, able to withstand the odd knock, and would fit in loads of championships.

e.g. £2000 racecar for sale

(Nowt to do with me btw)

StevieB

posted on 4/12/10 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
From reading the regs, engine's are free and only some classes (H not being one of them) state that bike engines are not allowed.

I would make the assumption that my car would go into class H in that case. If not, I'm happy to go against bike engined mini's anyway - I reckon my car will be lighter than a mini with the same engine anyway.

Andy D

posted on 4/12/10 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by StevieB
From reading the regs, engine's are free and only some classes (H not being one of them) state that bike engines are not allowed.

I would make the assumption that my car would go into class H in that case. If not, I'm happy to go against bike engined mini's anyway - I reckon my car will be lighter than a mini with the same engine anyway.

Engines are free.. re tuning, but classes B C & D must use car engines from the original marque. Still not sure about class H.. you'd have to check with the organisers, but my gut instincts are that becs are not allowed. You never know..perhaps you've found a loophole.

The Minis and space framed cars I was referring to were the Z cars type mini, as in, not a real Mini. There was a Busa engined Suzuki SC100 racing this year also, that's never seen a Suzuki SC100! ..all tubes and fibreglass.

See green car below.

Your best bet, if you're serious would be to get in touch with the organisers, give them the car spec, and go from there.

StevieB

posted on 4/12/10 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
I did half suspect that even if a BEC is technically allowed by the regs, the scrutineers discretion bit might put a stopper on it.

Only reason for finding a class for the BEC Midget to sit in is that I have such a project currently underway. If it happened that it isn't really competetive enough in the class it's slotted in to, I'd probably just sell and get myself either a Westy, Striker or Fury and race that instead.

wobblyone

posted on 27/1/11 at 01:15 AM Reply With Quote
I personally wouldnt bother with karting unless you are pretty young and under 70kg, or just happy to get your ass kicked near the back of the field, i raced rotax max competativley at club level then then superkarts at uk european champ level for many years and i can tell ya unless you spend huge money on new chassis good engines and plenty of track time you'll probably never get near the pointy end of the pack unless you are really really talented, they are also very hard physically to drive compared to a car , although in saying all the negatives if you want to learn race craft and basic setup and how to drive smoothly u cant beat a kart imho, locost etc is a far cheaper option im sure and also i doubt 3/4 of the field have been driving competativley since the were 8 years old, so your more likely to find people in the class that are your level.

Im not knocking karting I loved it but u need to go into it with your eyes open

adrenalin appears to be brown

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.