Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Apparently I am a mad man
Ninehigh

posted on 17/10/12 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
"Dear 'motor trader'
No I am not mentally disturbed, although you appear to be retarded. Being the kind of person who has a little intelligence and is a mite wary of giving out his address over email to someone who could well be 3 big blokes with cricket bats I feel I'm only partaking in due diligence in requesting that you ring me first. Since you appear to be unable or unwilling to dial a f**king number and open your mouth (incidentally NOT the wierdest thing I've come across) then I shall give you another 24hours before you can stick it."

MRLuke

posted on 17/10/12 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
Getting payment via paypal is no security at all, do not make the mistake of thinking it is.

Common scam at the moment is paying for items via paypal, collecting them, claiming the item was never sent. Ebay ask seller for proof they sent the item, seller doesnt have any because it was collected. Ebay sides with buyer and refunds the paypal amount as no proof of dispatch.

Personally I wouldnt tell a seller they were retarded and weird before I picked up the phone to call them.

[Edited on 17/10/12 by MRLuke]

SteveWalker

posted on 17/10/12 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
In the circumstances, I would have done it slightly differently from the start. If I needed to give times when I'd be there or not there, I'd have suggested that someone was there all the time, prehaps by phrasing it something like "I'll be out at work 'til 5 and I'd rather deal with it myself instead of leaving it to my wife."
morcus

posted on 18/10/12 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
To be fair he has given an address and I'm assuming he's said they could meet there and go to his house from there. I wouldn't sell to someone who'd sent me a message like that.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

jonabonospen

posted on 18/10/12 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
Lots of interesting points of view to read here.

I find it very difficult to give a true opinion though on who is right and who is wrong as you haven't shown EXACTLY what you wrote to him, and there must be something in it surely, for the buyer to say you should show others your messages. You cant make a proper judgement without seeing all the info.

What he wrote however is not very polite to say the least, and as a business it is a shocking way to speak to the public.

I understand you maybe not wanting to give your address out to someone who just wants to come view the car and / or who has no / little feedback. But if they have some decent feedback then I wouldn't worry as they are obviously using ebay as it should be used and ebay will have history of the person and their personal details should something dodgy happen, which I would suggest is unlikely from a seasoned ebayer.

What is the benefit of meeting him somewhere neutral then taking him to your house? If he wanted to steal it he would just agree to that, go to your house with you, make an excuse not to buy it, see what security there is, then come back another day.

But if you were buying a car would you go meet at an address where the vehicle isn't registered? I wouldn't as you have no idea if they own it or not. It could be anyones car ("I'm selling it for a 'friend'" sort of excuse) you are buying if you cant see it at the address where it is registered.

Whoever it was that said they / there friend requests payment in full by Paypal before even getting the address to collect the car..... WTF???? You telling me that if you won an auction for a car and the seller asked you for full payment before you even went to check it was as they had described on ebay, and before you even saw if it existed, that you would part with potentially thousands of pounds? You must be mad!!

Equally I would never accept payment in full for a car by Paypal. As someone else has said, there are a a fair few people pulling scams through Paypal by getting items and claiming the money back saying the item never arrived or was not as described etc etc etc. Paypal will always side with the buyer nowadays. So if someone bought your car, paid in full through Paypal, drove it for a day, then the gearbox falls out of it (or perhaps in real life it actually didn't), then they put a claim in through ebay and get awarded their money back, what would you do? No car, no money, left totally ripped off. Even if you got the car back it might or might not be damaged but could have been abused, used for a hit and run, been caught speeding, had parts swapped off it etc etc etc. If you got payment with cash or bank transfer, cheque, etc, then you would not end up in this position.

Rant over

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
femster87

posted on 18/10/12 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
Here is my message

Hi, I would be back in About 5.30 tomorrow. My address is *********. Call me on ****** when ur close, And I would give you my house number. There is a fire station on your Left. You can call me when you are there. Regards

To which he said

Can you send me the whole address to come to, i dont want to drive for 3 hours when I dont even know where im going to! Without the full address I wont be coming as its all beginging to sound a bit dodgy/weird.

And I said

I dont want to cause an argument, but I have supplied you with my telephone number twice now, you have not rang me to discuss collection just send messages on here, but you think its weird/dodgy that I would not give you my house address. when I have already told you I would be out till 5pm,what do I do if i get back from work and the car is gone (not that I am saying anything about you) its just due diligence like you have done with the finance. I dont know you, dont have any contact information for you. I am sorry but dont feel comfortable giving the info away. Like I said in my last reply. Fire station is 2 mins from my house and its a public place.Safe for both of us. If you want the car its here.

to which I got the reply posted

[Edited on 18/10/12 by femster87]

coyoteboy

posted on 18/10/12 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
I'd find that level of paranoia a bit odd to be on the receiving end of (maybe I'm too trusting) but I wouldn't be so rude in replying to you. As for someone lifting it while you're at work - any half decent crim who has their eye on your car will know your work hours, your address and probably have researched the best way to pinch it, so someone bidding from afar is less of a concern for me.
Mr Whippy

posted on 18/10/12 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
I doubt you'll hear back from them tbh

There is absolutely no reason why you cannot meet at a location other than your home, I have done that both buying and selling cars, no one ever complained

If they don’t get back to you at least you can sleep soundly knowing they are not able to come round at their own convenience and take your car…

Ever see that thread about the guy with the new Audi that gave away his address? some jealous sods comes round and pours paint stripper all over it and writes it off, never give personal details away unless you really know who your dealing with. You have done everything quite correctly

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
femster87

posted on 18/10/12 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
I'd find that level of paranoia a bit odd to be on the receiving end of (maybe I'm too trusting) but I wouldn't be so rude in replying to you. As for someone lifting it while you're at work - any half decent crim who has their eye on your car will know your work hours, your address and probably have researched the best way to pinch it, so someone bidding from afar is less of a concern for me.

I honestly agree. But he just seemed blunt from start to finish. I give my address out regularly, just wanted to make sure he was who he said he was and TBH coming for the car. I have sold cars and waited for people to turn up and never did. So instead of messing about sending messages, a quick call would have resolved everything.

gtr_garner

posted on 18/10/12 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
i can appreciate where youre coming from but i dont understand why he cannont pick up the phone this whole issue could have been resolved from the start by that . . . . the first thing i do when i win an item is to request a contact number and i give mine.

it just makes life easier.

he has overreacted to say the least, when i have sold things ive given the roadname and first half of the postcode and never had anyone have an issue regardless of where they have come from. Unless they have sent me a deposit or similar.

with smaller bits i wouldnt be as bothered but with a car or similar id definitely be more wary

[Edited on 18/10/12 by gtr_garner]

coyoteboy

posted on 18/10/12 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
As for not meeting people at home to sell a car, my turn to be paranoid - I'd want to know the car was at the place it was registered to really, and see ID of the person selling it. This is actually required by HPI checks for their guarantees to be effective. Otherwise it could have been pinched and taken to a location by someone other than the owner.
gtr_garner

posted on 18/10/12 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
i dont think he is saying he would take the car somewhere else to sell it - i agree with you on your views there
he is simply telling them to go to somewhere down the road then call and he will tell them where he lives.

femster87

posted on 18/10/12 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
I do understand that it might look a bit cautious. But It was a way of ensuring the person I was talking to was coming to buy the car. I have 60 watchers and all sorts of questions and part exchange offers. So all i said was this is my street name call me when your on it and I would give you my house number. I do not think its being difficult, well it dont matter what I think cause I am a bit mad anyways

I was abit more careful as I took the insurance off when it sold and put it on new car. So its just sitting there. And I was bored of all the random enquiry so when he won I was after a conversation to see if everything is ok and if he was fetching a trailer as tax run out as well. All described in the advert. If he came and called me when on my street of few mins away then I know he wants the car.

jonabonospen

posted on 18/10/12 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
Out of curiosity what was the guys feedback number / score?
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
femster87

posted on 18/10/12 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.