Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Suitable diff for running upside down and backwards?
Neville Jones

posted on 12/4/05 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
I would have a good look at the bearings on the output shaft of the bike box before going further. They would be designed to take torque, but not the thrust that a chain will put on them.

I only say this because we have a drier barrel similar to a concrete mixer truck running with a truck box with a chain on the output, and eats bearings regularly. The salt does not help though.

The recent fix was to mount the sprocket with bearings both ends on a cradle, with a flexible joint between the gbox and sprocket shaft. This means the gearbox now only provides torque as designed and no chain thrust on the output bearing.

So far, no new bearing trouble.

sgraber

posted on 12/4/05 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neville Jones
I would have a good look at the bearings on the output shaft of the bike box before going further. They would be designed to take torque, but not the thrust that a chain will put on them.

I only say this because we have a drier barrel similar to a concrete mixer truck running with a truck box with a chain on the output, and eats bearings regularly. The salt does not help though.

The recent fix was to mount the sprocket with bearings both ends on a cradle, with a flexible joint between the gbox and sprocket shaft. This means the gearbox now only provides torque as designed and no chain thrust on the output bearing.

So far, no new bearing trouble.

Interesting point you make. Would you be able to make an educated guess (SWAG) by the photo below?

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Aloupol

posted on 12/4/05 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Placing the sprocket between two bearings, and a CV joint to dissociate is the beter but increases the off-axis of the sprocket, maybe too much?
There's a mounting point on the block near this area, maybe possible to add a bearing after the sprocket, keeping this one at the same place?

Rorty

posted on 13/4/05 at 01:52 AM Reply With Quote
Steve, that's the basic layout of 95% of rear ends I've seen/done myself, albeit the engine's orientation is different. Should work perfectly well.
I would look closely at the pinion shaft bearing cover in the photo above with a view to re-machining it or making a new one to take a more substantial bearing.
If money wasn't an object, I would machine a billet sump for it to position a new output bearing and extension for the output shaft, thus bypassing the whole bevel gear set-up. You could dry sump it while you were at it.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
sgraber

posted on 13/4/05 at 02:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rorty
Steve, that's the basic layout of 95% of rear ends I've seen/done myself, albeit the engine's orientation is different. Should work perfectly well.
I would look closely at the pinion shaft bearing cover in the photo above with a view to re-machining it or making a new one to take a more substantial bearing.
If money wasn't an object, I would machine a billet sump for it to position a new output bearing and extension for the output shaft, thus bypassing the whole bevel gear set-up. You could dry sump it while you were at it.

If money were no object I would have started out with a Hayabusa or a ZX12! Certainly removing the bevel gear is the more efficient way to get more power to the wheels. I wonder how much the machine shop bill would be for that conversion...

My last question on the subject of diffs. (for now...)

For cost savings - If I were to retain the bevel gear, and attach a sprocket onto the splined shaft (where the u-joint currently attaches in the photo above), should I definitely support the outer portion of that shaft with an additional bearing? What would Jesus do?

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

Rorty

posted on 13/4/05 at 04:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sgraber
For cost savings - If I were to retain the bevel gear, and attach a sprocket onto the splined shaft (where the u-joint currently attaches in the photo above), should I definitely support the outer portion of that shaft with an additional bearing? What would Jesus do?

Leave Jesus out of it; he'd probably make it all out of wood.
The cost of a billet sump may not be as expensive as you think. If you know of somewhere you can stick the current sump in a CMM to establish the geometry, then reverse engineering a CAD model would be dead simple with your friends on this forum. After that, it's just down to the cost of a suitable billet and some machine time.
It may not be more costly than gerry-rigging a satelite bearing and associated parts.
If you were combining the change to a billet sump with a dry sump modification, then obviously there'd be considerable cost in the pump and pipe fittings etc.
Probably the second biggest benefit of a billet sump would be the reduced overall height of the unit, allowing it to sit lower in the car.
I would still look at the existing bearing/cover as a first option. You may find with a little machine work, you could fit a more substantial bearing in there.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

Aloupol

posted on 13/4/05 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
In your place I would let it like this, simply mount the sprocket in place of the CV joint. If the bearing lasts more than 10 000 km then it's good, it's just a service part. If not it's still time to consider an expensive option.
If you are too affraid of possible dammages to other parts than the bearing you can build a short axle with the splines and the sprocket in one end and a secondary bearing in the other, which sits on the engine mounts.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.