Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What engine for middy?
Pseicho

posted on 1/6/06 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
Ned, you're definately right. The reason I'm aiming for so much power is because when I'm going to build a car, I want to do it right. I don't want to have to build a second car once I'm used to the first one.

I did have a supersport bike so I know what a high power to weight ratio feels like

By the way, when I said the Ford V6 needs tuning, I had the original in mind like it's fit in the mondeo (with 170 hp). If it makes 200 hp when you remove the cats then that's fine.

martyn_16v

posted on 3/6/06 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
just the cams would need to be made backwards

I told you there was a blindingly simple reason i'd missed

ned

posted on 4/6/06 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
why not just turn them round, redrill the pulleys and change the firing order then?!

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 4/6/06 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by atomic
Forget the B16/B18 Honda engines unless you plan to also use the gearbox and diff from the donor as they spin in the opposite direction to most other engines.

I'm not even sure if there are any other gearboxes that fit? In any case, it would be a bit pointless changing the gearbox if you are building a mid engined setup.

Personaly I think the B16/B18 would really suit a lightweight car. Stuffed in the front of a Civic they feel quite lethargic at low RPM, even though the torque figures aren't that bad for the capacity. Biggest problem with them is that they demand stupid money.

[Edited on 4/6/06 by MikeRJ]

bimbleuk

posted on 6/6/06 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
Surely the best way to mount an engine in a mid/rear car is logitudinally? Just a thought.

Most of the more serious Elise conversions use either the Honda K20A, Audi 20V turbo or a few now have the Duractec 2.0L fitted. Still a few Hi Po K series being done but they generally require more maintenance. Budget for those range from £7-10K so not exactly cheap.

Iron/Steel blocks are not necessarily a lot heavier than alloy. For example a K series would weigh 80+kgs compared to 90kg for a 4AGE in similar stripped spec. The 4AGE is smaller though.

If you wanted 200bhp then yep a 4AGE can do this but it wont be cheap. The 1.8 2ZZ-GE would be there as it starts with 189BHP and finally cams are available. However the Honda K20A will always be that bit more powerful and more widely used.

The Honda is worth considering as with a new ECU and decent induction/exaust they put out an easy 230BHP and 300BHP again an easy figure acheived with an Eaton M62 supercharger on it. The downside is the rather tall and bulky head due to the VTEC mechanism, not brilliant for CoG and polar moment at the back.

NS Dev

posted on 6/6/06 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
As I said earlier, what exactly is wrong with the SAAB 9000 2.3 16v?

225hp as std, remap and an intercooler plus possibly a bigger turbo will yield 350hp...........................

You can buy an entire, late (post 1994) SAAB 9000 Griffin with manual gearbox for £500 no problem, and the engines are totally bullet proof, 200,000+ miles is std procedure.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Donners90

posted on 6/6/06 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDI-TT-S3-ENGINE-GEARBOX-1-8-TURBO-GOLF-V6_W0QQitemZ4644737486QQcategoryZ10372QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

MikeRJ

posted on 6/6/06 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bimbleuk
Surely the best way to mount an engine in a mid/rear car is logitudinally? Just a thought.

Why is that?

I know many supercars have longitudinaly mounted engines, but they are usualy monster V8s/V12's which would be too wide to mount transversely after you bolt a gearbox to the end.

bimbleuk

posted on 7/6/06 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
Mounting the engine logitudinally gives better weight distribution and lower centre of gravity.

Technically any car with the engine and GBX over the rear axle is really rear engined eg the Elise. Look at the weight distribution of an Elise approx 60/40 (rear/front). the mass over the rear axle also acts like a pendulum and makes them spin like a top when the rear end breaks loose. The mk2 MR2 turbo was revised at the back due to the tendency of owners going backwards through hedges!

Oh and I've owned both of the above and experienced both spinning on track days

iank

posted on 7/6/06 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Technically any car with the engine and GBX over the rear axle is really rear engined eg the Elise. ...

The rest of your post makes sense, but this is just wrong.

If you actually look the engine and gearbox are on the cabin side, the driveshafts are behind the engine. The engine isn't on top of the gearbox its by the side (unless you are using a mini engine) So the elise/MR2 etc are quite legitemately mid-engined.

Pseicho

posted on 8/6/06 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
quote:

Technically any car with the engine and GBX over the rear axle is really rear engined eg the Elise. ...

The rest of your post makes sense, but this is just wrong.

If you actually look the engine and gearbox are on the cabin side, the driveshafts are behind the engine. The engine isn't on top of the gearbox its by the side (unless you are using a mini engine) So the elise/MR2 etc are quite legitemately mid-engined.

Well he does have a point about the weight distribution. I don't see how rotating an engine in this way (longitudinal vs. transversal) can lower the center of gravity though...

Spyderman

posted on 8/6/06 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
Weight ratio front/rear is a greatly debated topic and it depends which side of the fence you prefer as to which is best.

Two opposing, but not necessarily wrong arguements.

50/50 to 45/55 slight rear bias makes the car very stable during the transitional period of turning in. And it could be argued that the car spends more time in transition than in constant rate turn.

45/55 to 40/60 rear bias is considered more stable during constant rate turning and is slightly better at the exit transition stage. It could also be argued that as the front takes a larger turn radius than the rear it would be preferable to move weight rearwards to reduce the pendulum effect.

Please excuse the terminology, but I know what I mean!

Spyderman

bimbleuk

posted on 9/6/06 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
A lot of mid-engine cars use FWD engines to achieve this. They tend to be narrow and tall to fit in the front engine bay.

Now cars designed with a longitudinal engine and transmission eg Ferraris, Porsches, Lambos etc have designed the whole package with a very low crank centre line at least thats what I've noticed in the past.

nitram38

posted on 9/6/06 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
My car has a fwd engine mounted at the rear of my car. It was the simplest and cheapest option.
NS Dev

posted on 9/6/06 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
We built a transverse mid engined nova rally car years ago and the weight distribution was only a few percent away from 50-50 (46-54 front-rear iirc)

just have to design it carefully.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

MikeRJ

posted on 9/6/06 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
The mk2 MR2 turbo was revised at the back due to the tendency of owners going backwards through hedges!

That was not so much caused by the location of the engine as the ropey suspension geometry that gave toe out on bump on the Rev1 cars. Fixed on Rev2 onwards. I still drive mine like a granny in the wet but in the dry the rear grip is phenomenal.

tks

posted on 9/6/06 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
Just

place one gearing pair on the cam

then you could turn the crank one way..

and the cam would turn the way it likes..

what would be now the problem?

shouldn't be to difficult to do?

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.