Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Dry sump - not filling crankcase up with oil??
02GF74

posted on 19/12/06 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
my 2p worth.

as has been said (I didnlt say it as it weemed obvious) is to have separate oil for tanks for the engines; my concern would be if one engine allowed more oil into it o in worst case the oil for 2 engines ends up in 1 engine with the crank/psitons being immersed in oil = bye bye engine most likely.

The positioning - I'd would say you want the level of the catch tank to be at such a level so when the oil does flow, it will not drain completell out of the tank and avoid the above 'immersedd crank' scenario - I can ask my mate who has dry sumped his caterham since he'll know for sure = also the web must addres this somewhere?

I don't think valves are a good idea.

Yes - I tank with baffle to keep the 2 engine oils sepearte ist he way to go IMO.

thomas4age

posted on 20/12/06 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
regarding the drainage problem, (the oil in the tank leveling out to the engine during standstil)

You could, mount an electric mocal pump in an extra line inbetween the sump and the tank, wire it up inbetween the ignition and an oil level switch (any renault megane sump)

so when you turn on the ignition the pump goes sucking the sump dry, and on the break contact on the level switch run the wire to the starter motor and Ignition feed so, when the pump is running you cannot cranck/start the engine,
when the level in tank is high enough the mocal pump stops (there's a 1 way valve init so it won't drain back) and you can start the engine, it should only take a few seconds for the pump to drain the sump.

then you'd have 2 advantages, you won't have to do the whole take plugs out and look at the tankglas thingy, just turn the key into pos#1 and wait for the pump to stop
and when under any circumstances the drysump pumps fail or you're losing oil, the ignition systems stops working and the engine stalls. to be very sure about things you can also mount a oilpresure switch in the ignition feed wire.

just a thought. surley you'd need 2 mocal pumps and level switches for twin engine twin tank arrangment

grtz Thomas

If Lucas made guns, Wars wouldn't start either.

NS Dev

posted on 20/12/06 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
a very good idea, for road use very good indeed. I think the extra complication on the grasser would prob not be worthwhile but an extremely good idea nontheless!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

thomas4age

posted on 20/12/06 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
you could do without the pump system offcourse,
but the level and presure switches wired to the ignition would still be a good idea, considering there's twice as many money to Blow-Up. have it on the 20v after the 16v died because of little oilpresure.

grtz thomas

Bob C

posted on 20/12/06 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
I've never done anything with dry sumps..... but a couple of points occurred to me during this thread;
1) you'd need 2 electric(?) scavenge pumps to take oil from each sump to the big tank - After a long stand, won't these empty the sumps for you - no bother with taps or anything, just leave the engine on the ignition for 30secs before starting!!
2) if you have a 'shared oil' system & one of the 2 scavenge pumps dies (twice as likely as a single failure) then its engine will fill up with ALL the oil - it will be damaged and the other will be ruined 'cos it has no oil!! sounds like you definately want independent systems to me!
Bob

NS Dev

posted on 20/12/06 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
No electric pumps Bob, the engine is dry sumped as std and has mechanical scavenge and pressure stages built in as std, it pumps to a seperate tank on the bike in the normal installation, one of the reasons I went for this engine, funnily enough!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

thomas4age

posted on 20/12/06 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
@ bob,
the electric pumps are only to scavange the engines after a long duration standstill. during run normal mechanical scavange pumps are used.

the TWIN seperate system was what we where talking about, 2 tanks + 2 engines hence 2 electric pumps for the way described above.

but Nes isn't going to use it as it'a race car, a road car in which you wanto be able to quickly drive of should beniefit from that system

grtz Thomas

[Edited on 20/12/06 by thomas4age]

Bob C

posted on 20/12/06 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Fellas ;^)
Bob

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.