Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Getting a (really cheap!) donor home?
mackie

posted on 29/7/03 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers ChrisW, we may just seek your help.
St Albans Car and Van hire do a car transporter trailer for £45 a day I think, but the problem is lack of beefy car with a towbar.
How does the towing dolly work just out of interest? Do you simply place the front wheels on it and then tow it like a mini trailer?

Doc

posted on 29/7/03 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
I'd shop around if they are charging that much for a car transporter trailer. My local trailer dealer charges £17 + VAT a day or £96 + VAT a week.
greggors84

posted on 29/7/03 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
I dont want to discourage you from going to St Albans Van Hire (My godfather runs it), but GT towing on the way to brookmans park from hatfield do them for about £30 - £35 a day. They have a site on the internet. Not sure of the URL though, sorry.

You need a pretty big car to tow it though, my uncle used his shogun to tow mine back on a trailer and it was still pulling the car around a bit.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

ned

posted on 30/7/03 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
got my sierra on the back of a 306 + trailer! a bit scary, just took it nice + steady...

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
brianm

posted on 31/7/03 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
Went up to Silverstone circuit today to pick up a Granada 2 litre pinto donor that I had been offered for free, unseen. Took a rigid towbar with me, intending to tow it the 200 miles home. Turned out to be a G reg Ghia, with only 56000 miles on the clock and ,suprise, suprise, a current MOT and one month and one day of tax still on it. Started up instantly after sitting unmoved for two months, and drove all the way home without missing a beat.
JoelP

posted on 31/7/03 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
Jammy get..!
brianm

posted on 31/7/03 at 11:47 PM Reply With Quote
Had to go up to Silverstone anyway on other business, so with the tax refund and the few quid you always find under seats, trim etc. when you strip a car, should just about pay for my petrol home!
ChrisW

posted on 1/8/03 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds like a bargain. Pity it's a granny tho - getting decent wheels might be difficult?

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BigDave

posted on 1/8/03 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
Insurance for the donor

While trying to get insurance for my donor to drive it home, my broker unofficially suggested that if my wife and I went to pickup the donor (by the way my insurance policy is in my name and my wife is a named driver) and then got my wife to sign the registration document in her name.

This then means that under my insurance policy I can drive another vehicle, third party only, that is not registered to me. So naturally I drove the donor home while my wife drove our car home.

Problem solved!!! (Insurance wise anyway)

Dave

brianm

posted on 2/8/03 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
Sounds like a bargain. Pity it's a granny tho - getting decent wheels might be difficult?

I already have a rolling chassis with wheels, bought as an unfinished project. Just want the engine, box and steering column from the granny.
Just had the granny up on my ramp to have a look underneath. It's got a type 9 box with an electronic speedo sender fitted. I thought they only came with the MT75? Solves the speedo cable problem anyhow.

andyps

posted on 4/8/03 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
Mackie and Blueshift - did you get your donor home yet? If so which method did you use?

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

blueshift

posted on 4/8/03 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
Not yet. we were moving house last week (to a new place with a garage.. ) and the bloke selling it went on holiday. I'm away at work this week but might be able to get an evening off.. otherwise it could be some time late next week. hrm.

In other news, we bought a cortina and got that home.. not too adventurous as it had tax and test and was pretty much fine to drive, just pulled right under braking.

ewanspence

posted on 5/8/03 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
driving another car on your own insurance!!!

BigDave

You need to check the small print when driving someone esles car under the 3rd party cover clause. The other person car should have its own valid insurance to make this legal. That is what my document says as I thought about this option.

I ended up getting the the car by asking the owner to drive it round to my house and I drove him home. No risk to me.

Ewan.

Visit the MegaGrip site :-
http://www.geocities.com/ewanspence/

blueshift

posted on 5/8/03 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
I'm pretty sure my insurance policy doesn't say anything about anyone else having to have an insurance policy on the car. it just says I'm allowed to drive other cars with third-party cover so long as they don't belong to or are hired by me.

but I haven't got my documents here, and IANAL. I'm with NU direct btw.

andyps

posted on 5/8/03 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
I think most insurers don't specify the car has to be independently insured - but if you hapen to stop and get out of the car the law does! When driving a car on this basis you have to stay in the car all the time it is on the public highway for the insurance to be valid and not face prosecution.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

blueshift

posted on 15/8/03 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
By the way, we got the car home today. I booked it in for an MOT at the garage the opposite side of town from where we'd be coming in (cunning eh?) and went to get the car. was signing up and about to try and start the engine when the bloke says "oh, it's not driveable. I told you that." bugger. no battery and maybe no ECU in the thing.

so, he gave us an old tow rope and we towed it home with mackie's rover 400. took two hours. poor little 1.4 engine popped its expansion tank or something, was widdling coolant when it got home.

but, we lived to tell the tale, and plod didn't spot us towing an un-MOT'd, un-taxed un-roadworthy car on the A41.

pictures for the curious at http://www.leetfighter.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=sierra

eddie

posted on 20/8/03 at 03:27 AM Reply With Quote
pushed mine 2 doors along to my house

Please feel free in advance to: correct, update, ridicule or laugh and point at any comments made by myself in this post....

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.