Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: zetec engine number help + bolt help
focijohn

posted on 25/1/09 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
zetec engine number help + bolt help

After reading another thread ive had a scratch and sand around and cant seem to find the engine number (gearbox flange) Cant find it anywhere on there as its too far gone... and i'd like to think that my eye sights good. Any ideas please?

Secondly, even after boxing everything anally ive still managed to misplace the oil strainer bolts that screw into the Oil Pump, the only bits i have lost... will any bolts do if not does anyone have any pictures of what they look like so i can have a good nose about in my shed? At least ill know what im looking for.

Regards

John

[Edited on 25/1/09 by focijohn]

Anyone going slower than you is an idiot. Anyone going faster than you is a maniac.
Too many targets but too few bullets.

Bigheppy

posted on 25/1/09 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
I have a similar problem. I have the number obtained from the donors v5 but it has rusted off the flange, so I cant verify it. Can I just stamp it back on, what type and size of stamp should I use. Sorry if I'm slightly hijacking the thread but it is sort of relevant.
les g

posted on 25/1/09 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
iirc
they are someting like m6 torx cap screws
i should think allen bolts would be ok though
cheers les g

focijohn

posted on 25/1/09 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
Should add that its a silver top if that makes a difference.

Anyone going slower than you is an idiot. Anyone going faster than you is a maniac.

will121

posted on 25/1/09 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
i had a simular problem with engine number as could only read half of it, i lightly draw filed it wire brushed it and then took a digital photo and on some photo software inverted the colours and to my suprise could just make them out, if you cant see any could have been a new ford block at some time as they come with no numbers stamped. i wuld say be carefull restamping numbers as is dont look right will apear dodgy!
coozer

posted on 25/1/09 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
Re: Engien number... I had exactly the same problem, the flange was the only place with rust on it and I couldn't make the number out at all.

I used electrolysis to clean the flange up. Not easy but with the engine on its side over the bath I put bits and bobs in the water till it just covered the edge of the flange and let it cook.

Next morning the poorly stamped number was plain to see, and still is nearly two years later!

Just for your info, if the engine was changed at the dealer any time in its live the new one from Ford doesn't have a number, the dealer has to stamp the number of the old one on the new one. Rescued attachment Engine Number Electolysis.jpg
Rescued attachment Engine Number Electolysis.jpg

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

mad4x4

posted on 26/1/09 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
MY VosA/SVA inspector (Aberdeen) did say to me "If I we you i'd would have re-stamped that when the engine was out"

This was because, the number was absolute murder to see when the VOSA can to inspect.

Also take a photo of the number while it is out so that they can see it more clearly.

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

02GF74

posted on 26/1/09 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bigheppy
size of stamp should I use.

SVA manual states minium size is 4 mm.

Machine MArt sell a set of numbers and letters, bit no 0 for a tenner; the numbers when stamped are a smdge under 4 mm but I doubt the inspector will get a micrometer to measure. My passed ok.

focijohn

posted on 26/1/09 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
so theretically speaking i could go to a scrap yard..... find a pre (or post) 95 zetec thats about to be crushed and nick the engine number off that?
Send the engine number off to ford tech dept and have a letter through confirming the age of the engine!?

Not that i would encourage such behavior

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.