Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: online tyres + local fitting?
nick205

posted on 17/2/09 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
online tyres + local fitting?

Looking at getting some tyres from ebay or another online retailer, but how does the "local fitting" work. I can't imagine my local Kwik Fit being too keen on fitting other peoples tyres to my wheels even if they are getting paid for fitting, valves, balancing etc?

Does it actually work out cheaper than just havin the local trye place supply, fit, balance etc?

paul the 6th

posted on 17/2/09 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
never done it myself (yet) but I'd try a local independent tyre fitter over kwik poo any day. Have a google, give them a ring and ask how much fitting costs if you bring your own tyres

I got a flat in birmingham city centre after I'd finished a job once, and was due to drive down to london to start another job within around 5 hours... 2 weeks before, I'd just had new tyres all round (economy run of the mill thingys which were £37 a piece)... Took it to kwikfit on my spare tyre and they said "The nearest equivalent budget tyre we have to your flat one is £70"... I asked if they were joking and they said I could have the expensive ones for 30 quid more. I then asked if it would make sense to actually have one super sticky tyre with 3 bugdet ones and the guy tried to convince me it would be better for the handling of the car.

Tossers hope this helps

[Edited on 17/2/09 by paul the 6th]

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
tegwin

posted on 17/2/09 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
I just bought some off Blackcricles... they had them delivered to one of their "approved" tyre fitters, I took the car along and they fitted them...

Pretty good price, but the service at the tyre fitting place left a lot to be desired... I guess you get what you pay for...

In the future I will buy my tyres from blackcircles (unless the local place can beat them on price)

And then take the tyres to my local independant who know what they are doing, and seem to have the time to take a bit of care over it...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

coozer

posted on 17/2/09 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
Got my Yokohamas cheap enough off the bay then my local tyre place charged me £24 to fit and balance. Maybe, I would have been just as well asking them to get them and fit them.

Will try that next time

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

deezee

posted on 17/2/09 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
I've got tyres from Black Circles before, then had them fitted at a local garage (ATS I think). They charged about £15 to fit the tyres and balance the wheels.
nick205

posted on 17/2/09 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
Coozer/Deezee...

Were those prices per tyre, a pair or full set?

deezee

posted on 17/2/09 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Coozer/Deezee...

Were those prices per tyre, a pair or full set?

For the lot. Only took em 5 mins.

Alan M

posted on 17/2/09 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
I work at a Black Circles fitting centre. Their prices are really competitive and you pay no extra for the fitting etc; it's all included in the online price.
vinny1275

posted on 17/2/09 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
I've used E-tyres a few times now. The prices are pretty good, and they come out to work to fit them. Service has always been good, they turn up when they say they will, and they do a free puncture repair service on the tyres that come from them as well (and that was really handy when I did get a puncture! Came out the day after I called and fixed it onsite. They brought a matching tyre out with them incase it couldnt be repaired too).

I think it's a franchise, so you'll get different people in different areas, but the Oxfird ones are great...

Cheers

Vince

SeaBass

posted on 17/2/09 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
I've been using Black Circles for the tyres on the missus' Fiesta (3 pairs of tyres so far - all the same place). Went for the including fitting option the first time to see what it was like. The garage we chose from the options is very helpful and careful with the car - they even make her a cup of tea when she waits!

I depends what the small independant garage is like that you chose.

The other option that I use for my Tintop is Tyre- Shopper, actually an online sibling of National tyre but much cheaper. They've also been pretty good.

Having said that I never let my car leave my eyesight when having tyres fitted. Gives the fitter more to think about and take more care. 9 times out of 10 I have a chat with them while they're doing it. Most are into motors (albeit Max Power variety).

Cheers

JC

Shadowcaster

posted on 17/2/09 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
I got some Cooper ST's for the Discovery from Tyrespec and had them fitted by a local indi fitter at £10.00 a wheel which worked out cheaper that buying from one of the big players Link

Cheers Rich
The Roadster Blog http://richshaynesroadster.blogspot.com/
It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.
Confucius Chinese philosopher & reformer (551 BC - 479 BC)

Mr Whippy

posted on 17/2/09 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
I get kwik fit to put tyres on all the time, they don't care if they never sold you them. Didn't even charge for the Lambo ones due to the novelty of fitting them

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zoom

posted on 17/2/09 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
I run an etyres branch in north west london so i'll be recomending them to you

Don't forget we come to you so save you time and money

etyres.co.uk

Advert over

<------- P.S. some of my staff look like her

[Edited on 17/2/09 by zoom]

mycar
mybuildsite

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 17/2/09 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
I bought 4 tyres off blackcircles, with fitting included in the price.

Slight trek to one of their approved fitters, but they did a top-notch job. First place I've been to where the bloke knew what the coloured circles mean on the tyre wall, and he did his best to put them where they should go.

Nice selection of porsches in the showroom to stare at while he did the fitting, too!

John.Taylor

posted on 17/2/09 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
I bought some Kumho Ecsta's for my wife's Golf from camskill (Whitehaven) mail order then when they came I drove around to my my local independant tyre fitters who disposed of the worn ones and fitted the fresh ones with new valves before ballancing them all for £9 per tyre.

tegwin

posted on 17/2/09 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
First place I've been to where the bloke knew what the coloured circles mean on the tyre wall, and he did his best to put them where they should go.

Im intreagued now... what do the coloured dots mean?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

iank

posted on 17/2/09 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
They show how the weight is distributed. If put on correctly in relation to the valve it means less weight has to be added during the balancing process.

See:
http://www.bridgestonetrucktires.com/us_eng/real/magazines/ra_v13_i1/PDF/ra_v13i1%20ask%20doc.pdf

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

James

posted on 17/2/09 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin

Im intreagued now... what do the coloured dots mean?

http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html

About 90% of the way down the page.

HTH,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

James

posted on 17/2/09 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
Beaten to it whilst finding the link!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Kriss

posted on 17/2/09 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
another vote for etyres.com for me

ordersome last week tuesday, arranged fitting at home for thursday and it cost me £78 for two decent "medium" tyres fitted, balanced and disposed of my olds.

Guy also loved the MK R1 I had parked on the drive to gain access to the garage. 15 mins and it was all done.

Simon

posted on 17/2/09 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
My father had a flat in his Merc E320, and the rubber band tyre was £218 (from big trye outlet) to replace.

Just found out a local place does the tyres for about £65

ATB

Simon

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.