Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Cockpit Size
psylsph

posted on 24/2/04 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Cockpit Size

Anybody got some sugestions for a 7 type car which has plenty of room for a 6'3" fella. Already thought about Robin Hoods, anything else of a similar cost / size.
madforfishing

posted on 24/2/04 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
Problems with height

Psylsph, I am 6'4" ( ner ! ) and I fit in my book chassis'd Locost no prblems. I just needed to raise the steering as high as poss and use a small steering wheel.
I also got some dinky seats from a narrow bodied Westy and modded the pedals for my MASSIVE feet.
Have you looked at McSorley's website, he hsa fantastic chassis plans on there for 'Big 'uns ' like yourself, wider and longer overall.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
albertz

posted on 24/2/04 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with the post above. I am 6'5" and having sat in a Caterham and just fitted (it was very tight though), i took measurements and was relieved to find that the standard chassis is actually about a 1.5" longer and 1" wider either side of the tunnel

My only remaining concerns are;

1) head sticking above rollbar - easily sorted

2) The pedals (i could not work the pedals on the Caterham with my size 12s) - i have been reassured on this site that the pedals should not be a problem.

HTH

Staple balls

posted on 24/2/04 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
6'4" 19 stone

fit an mk indy no probs
shortie

posted on 24/2/04 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
I am 6ft 4in and 19 stone and get in an MK Indy no problem, a little tight at the hips but no problem getting the harnesses on and you don't want to be loose in the car anyway.

I am having a full cage and MK are happy to adjust the cage to fit my hieght.

You should fit in no problem.

Rich.

suparuss

posted on 24/2/04 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
what have you people been eatin?
Staple balls

posted on 25/2/04 at 12:06 AM Reply With Quote
babies mostly, the occasional badger
Dreckly

posted on 25/2/04 at 03:38 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Chaps,

For the record, the GTS I'm building is 4" longer in the cockpit to accomodate the likes of the Robin Bastd, 6'6" with a 36" leg(so he says!?!). It will be fine for me @ only 6' meaning I can have a lower, more lying down driving position and more arm room which suits me fine.
I'm only 15st 7lb and haven't tried Badgers or Babies, just Pasties & Beer!!!

Cheers. Ken.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
pbura

posted on 25/2/04 at 04:05 AM Reply With Quote
madforfishing, I'm 6'6" and have a 34+" inseam, just for comparison. Also, I have MG Midget seats. These are about 4" thick at most, and recline.

What would you think of:
  • Adding 1.5" to chassis height
  • Shortening the cockpit (moving the scuttle back) by 4"
  • Angling the rear bulkhead more, say 25 degrees, opening the cockpit up again
  • Lengthening the footwell 6" for an overall increase of 2"

This would be with a chassis 3" wider than book. Also, I would use top-mounted pedals so I could rest my left foot behind them.

Do you think that would be comfortable? Would appreciate your thoughts (and those of other tall guys with book chassis).

Thanks!

Pete

P.S. I like bacon cheeseburgers and the occasional possum

Pete

madforfishing

posted on 25/2/04 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
Pete, you have U2U

Graceland

posted on 25/2/04 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
6'2" and 12 stone, normal book chassis size and fit nae probs with room to spare

psylsph

posted on 25/2/04 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
All getting on well then

Well it's nice to see I'm not the only big bloke out there. I forgot to say I currently have a book locost, with bench seats and a 10" steering wheel. It's not too bad, but as my legs are long it's a bit crushed on olng journeys. I'm thinking of selling at some point and starting a fresh. As my weldings not upto much I really want to buy a chassis and go from there. I'm currently considering a Tiger Cat (but think it might me a bit small), Luego Velocity XT, maybe a RobinHood, and perhap an MK. I think the only true test is to go to a show. So that'll be me off to Stoneleigh then.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.