Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Diesel's which are chain driven (or 100k+ cam belt interval)?
the_fbi

posted on 19/5/09 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
Diesel's which are chain driven (or 100k+ cam belt interval)?

I do around 30k a year and take a car allowance rather than a co. car which may be my first mistake, but .....

VAG's appear to need new cam belts around ever 60k and are ~£470 for a dealer change.

I know the Y22DTR (Vauxhall 2.2 DTI) is a chain driven engine, what others, either engines or cars they're found in, are cam chain hence a longer service interval.

Whilst I think the VAG TDI's are the best out there, its not really economical (for me) if sticking to the 60k change.

I tend to prefer a small'ish hatch (currently an Ibiza 130 TDI Sport, previously 2 Focus's) but need an engine which is bulletproof out of the box (with scope for mods, as the VAG engines are) with plenty of power/torque for pulling either a kart trailer or a westy on a trailer.

Ideas appreciated.

Thanks
Chris

nstrug

posted on 19/5/09 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
BMW diesel engines are all chain drive.

My 2000 330d is on 150k miles with no problems whatsoever - and that's with a fairly serious power boost from a p-tronic chip.

I would recommend you look at a 120d SE (177bhp) or 123d SE (204bhp) if you like small hatches.

Nick

mcerd1

posted on 19/5/09 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the_fbi
VAG's appear to need new cam belts around ever 60k and are ~£470 for a dealer change.

couldn't you just use a good independent garage ? (bound to be cheaper)

even assuming its a new car with a 3 year warranty you'd only need the dealer to do it once.....

[Edited on 19/5/09 by mcerd1]

-

Guinness

posted on 19/5/09 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nstrug

My 2000 330d is on 150k miles with no problems whatsoever - and that's with a fairly serious power boost from a p-tronic chip.

I would recommend you look at a 120d SE (177bhp) or 123d SE (204bhp) if you like small hatches.

Nick

I'd have a word with DarrenW before buying a BMW diesel and doing mega mileage in it. He's had some BIG bills recently.

I'm 45,000 into a VAG diesel (in a Seat Leon). Has been serviced every 10,000 miles by my trusted independant and they'll be doing the cam belt too.

Mike

graememk

posted on 19/5/09 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
vauxhalls 2l and 2.2 suffer badly with the chains and they arnt cheap to fix, also look at the price of a clutch

Stott

posted on 19/5/09 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
Or you could DIY on the timing belt in true locost fashion, a few hours and circa £120 and your done
nstrug

posted on 19/5/09 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guinness
quote:

Nick

I'd have a word with DarrenW before buying a BMW diesel and doing mega mileage in it. He's had some BIG bills recently.

I'm 45,000 into a VAG diesel (in a Seat Leon). Has been serviced every 10,000 miles by my trusted independant and they'll be doing the cam belt too.

Mike

Ate its swirl flaps? That's a known problem on pre-2006 320d and auto 330d - fixed now and doesn't affect the 2 litre engine in the 1-series AFAIK. The manual 330d (which I have) never had the swirl flaps.

Nick

hobbsy

posted on 19/5/09 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
The parts alone aren't cheap for the VAG TDI's.

BMW diesel is chain as said and the lump itself is good but the early facelift turbo's aren't and neither are the failing plastic intake manifold (swirl flaps -> engine).

If you do go for this change the breather filter for a swirl type and bypass the EGR. Did this on mine the moment I got it and all seems well (apart from the inevitable turbo failure as they were all underspecced and failed as low as 25k). Go for 2004 on and its good.

MikeRJ

posted on 19/5/09 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
In the grand scheme of things, £470 every two years isn't that much compared to the cost of a new car is it? As mentioned, you'll only need it done by VW once, then you can use an independent (or DIY) to save a chunk of money.
twybrow

posted on 19/5/09 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
My Accord CDTi is chain driven....
tegwin

posted on 19/5/09 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
The v6 TDI engine in the toureag is chain drive.... !

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Stott

posted on 19/5/09 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
Parts aren't cheap compared to a petrol car but around £120 will nail it, compared to dealer prices that's cheap

As mentioned why worry, if you're doing 30K a year you don't have to replace it for 2 years then you can do what you want with it.

By the time you swap your car and factor in the tax on yours that you might lose, licencing the new one, insurace to change, plus how much the new one will actually cost etc etc, you may be better off financially changing the belt at the dealer every year!!!

MikeR

posted on 19/5/09 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
Ford TDCI are chain driven. Heard two different stories on replacing it. One said 100k, one said 'life of engine".

Supposedly ford *design* the engine to do a guaranteed 120k (ie definitely, no question will do 120k. Will do more but bits are more likely to fail). Although at 60k I had my EGR valve on my focus go.

the_fbi

posted on 19/5/09 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry, I should have been clearer, I don't buy a new, or even nearly new car as the depreciation on them with the miles would be terrible.

It'll be a 4+ year old car.

Independant charges for the VAG TDI's isn't even £100 cheaper, it takes a long time to do.

120d I was looking at, perfect size/power etc, just don't know how they stack up with depreciation with mega miles. Realistically after 2 years with me, its going to have 160+ on it, as I'm not going to buy a low milage one and then kill it, I'll buy one with high miles to start with.

Current Ibiza is 144k old, and going fine, apart from the cambelt it'll probably only have cost me under £2000 for 2 years including insurance and servicing and depreciation.

Ideally I'd like an old TT but with a TDI in there, just a shame the VAG TDI's weigh more than the chassis they sit in.

britishtrident

posted on 19/5/09 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
Strangely the BMW swirl flap problem didn't occur when it was installed in Rovers and Landrovers --- altough I have heard of a few with crack cylinders heads or heads replaced because a dodgey injector was stuck fast in the head.

One minicab driver did a truly inter planetery mileage with a BMW diesel in a R75 --- 360,000 when he sold it and bought another.

Instead of diesel why not consider LPG less than 2/3 the running cost of petrol.
46.9p per litre from Morrisions (and at least in Glasgow area can be found significantly cheaper) ----- if a petrol car returns 33 mpg on petrol it will do 27 to 31 mpg on gas. A weeks running cost me £26.27 for gas + £3 petrol instead of £55 for petrol.

Cost of a professional conversion is about £1100 to 1400 for a 4 cylinder. DIY you can do it for £600.

[Edited on 19/5/09 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

the_fbi

posted on 19/5/09 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
I did consider getting my Focus LPG'd (as I still have it too) but the Zetec has issues with wear when running on LPG.

LPG would also work out more expensive than diesel. My 3000 mile trip is currently at 58.8mpg and on a journey a couple of weeks ago I got 74.2mpg over a 120 mile journey.

DarrenW

posted on 19/5/09 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

Nick

Mike

I like your use of the word "Had"!!!!! Its going back into garage tonight with another suspected turbo failure after the last brand new (Garrett) one had only covered 2000 miles. Must say though that it could also be a split boost hose so ill report back later.
Based on the many 000's sold and on the roads i do consider myself very unlucky. If you research all cars deep enough you will never buy any of them due to what seems to be common faults - problem is most people that frequent forums only report problems. I did have 3 years totally troble free motoring (45K - 100K) and still love the car.

I believe the BIGGEST problem with modern diesels is the silly high maintenance mileages. Its great when they are new and under warranty to only have to get them serviced every 15 - 20K miles, however im sure that this leads to issues post 3 years old for the 2nd owners etc. Sure the engines may be fine, but what about the other ancilliaries. If i decide to keep my car it will be getting an oil change at half intervals as well.

DarrenW

posted on 19/5/09 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:

Nick

Mike

Ate its swirl flaps? That's a known problem on pre-2006 320d and auto 330d - fixed now and doesn't affect the 2 litre engine in the 1-series AFAIK. The manual 330d (which I have) never had the swirl flaps.

Nick

Mine wasnt swirl flaps. I removed them before they had chance to be an issue. It was turbo failure and a damaged piston. Engine is great now, just need to debug the turbo / boost pipe issue.

kipper

posted on 19/5/09 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
diesels

My Nissan Primera has chain cam drive,
Now on 112 miles and going strong.
Regards Kipper.

Where did that go?
<<<<

britishtrident

posted on 19/5/09 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the_fbi
I did consider getting my Focus LPG'd (as I still have it too) but the Zetec has issues with wear when running on LPG.

LPG would also work out more expensive than diesel. My 3000 mile trip is currently at 58.8mpg and on a journey a couple of weeks ago I got 74.2mpg over a 120 mile journey.

Unlike Diesel LPG cost benefits are greatest in urban use and it dosen't show the same savings as diesel in response to to a light touch on the righthand pedal. However is 46.8 per litre as opposed to 103.8 for DERV and 97.4 for Petrol

Duty on Petrol and Derv will increase very soon LPG duty has been fixed but the price tends to increase in thw winter months.

Assuming above prices and 34mpg for Petrol 30 for LPG and 58 for DERV

Fuel Cost for 30K miles
Petrol £3820
LPG £2080 + £100 for Petrol
Diesel £2386
Derv and LPG are neck and neck, petrol just looks silly.

The soft valve issue on Fords seems OK if a Valve Saver dispenser is fitted.

[Edited on 19/5/09 by britishtrident]

hughpinder

posted on 19/5/09 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
I've just passed 178000 on LPG in a honda civic - supposed to suffer from sticky valves (but hasn't yet). The only real disadvantage I see is that you re-fuel twice as often as in a diesel.
Regards
Hugh

adam1985

posted on 19/5/09 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hughpinder
I've just passed 178000 on LPG in a honda civic - supposed to suffer from sticky valves (but hasn't yet). The only real disadvantage I see is that you re-fuel twice as often as in a diesel.
Regards
Hugh

thats nice to know i had my civic lpged last year and went for the valve saver too all been fine up to yet touch wood

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.