Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: got some bike carb Qs
jpindy3

posted on 20/5/09 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
got some bike carb Qs

right i have my iva today,thats another story.when i had the emission test done it read not even 1% "of what i dont know"
be the bloke said it was very low,and also said that ment that it was running lean.witch was good as it got me through that part of the test,and home.
so when i got back,i thort i would have a go at sorting it out,i got some realy small washers and loaded the neadle up with about 5 witch was 5mm,that ran far to rich,so i ended up with useing 2,on each neadle of corse.the zx9r carb neadle has a 10mm leval bit on it before it gos to a point,is that what that bit of the neadle is for?anyway it runs fine.
i did forget to say also on my way home,towards the end of the drive i was going around a roundabout in 3rd and diving quite hard out of it,took it to about 5000rpm and a horable kind of splutring came from the exhaust and a loss of power,any ideas what this could be?was i pushing it to hard?
thats the other reason i made it a little richer,but after doing that,i wormed it up and took it around the block,and it happend again.
so i a bit worried that i may have fooked it?

GaryM

posted on 20/5/09 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
As I understand it, with CV carbs.....

The needle and needle jet control fueling (richness/weakness) from above idle to about 75% of the needle (not throttle) being fully raised. The needle will rise and fall independently but related to the throttle position and engine revs .By fine adjusting the needle height (in the slide) you will adjusting the mixture in this range.

If you've started using more throttle and higher revs then you've probably starting exploring the area of carbueration above 75% fully open. This area is controlled primarily by the main jet.

I would guess, that in your case, your main jet is too small causing the mixture to go very lean and hence the loss of power above 5000 revs.

What size are your main jets?

I'm currently trying to road tune my 1600 xflow/FZR600 carb setup and finding if very
challenging even with the assistance of a wideband oxygen sensor and guage.

I'd hate to try and do it without one!

Cheers
Gary

jpindy3

posted on 20/5/09 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GaryM
As I understand it, with CV carbs.....

The needle and needle jet control fueling (richness/weakness) from above idle to about 75% of the needle (not throttle) being fully raised. The needle will rise and fall independently but related to the throttle position and engine revs .By fine adjusting the needle height (in the slide) you will adjusting the mixture in this range.

If you've started using more throttle and higher revs then you've probably starting exploring the area of carbueration above 75% fully open. This area is controlled primarily by the main jet.

I would guess, that in your case, your main jet is too small causing the mixture to go very lean and hence the loss of power above 5000 revs.

What size are your main jets?

I'm currently trying to road tune my 1600 xflow/FZR600 carb setup and finding if very
challenging even with the assistance of a wideband oxygen sensor and guage.

I'd hate to try and do it without one!

Cheers
Gary

hi mate thanks,my main jet is 1.8mm,do you think this is ok???

jacko

posted on 20/5/09 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
When the tester did the emissions was it at idle? if so its not the needls that need ajusting its the air screws under the carbs

[Edited on 20/5/09 by jacko]
quote:

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=104526&page=2

Read this under my name

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jpindy3

posted on 20/5/09 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
of course,thanks jacko,
how meny turns out is it 3.5???

jacko

posted on 20/5/09 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
It depends on your engine tuning mine is one turn out i also think your jets are to big at 1.8
Look at the link i have put on my last post

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coozer

posted on 20/5/09 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
Air inlet on the face needs blocking to prevent severe leaning off at high revs, done that?

Then you need to take it to Blogg Brothers for a set up. No substitution. Worth every penny in fuel savings.

Then an English grammar course if I may suggest.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

jpindy3

posted on 20/5/09 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Air inlet on the face needs blocking to prevent severe leaning off at high revs, done that?

Then you need to take it to Blogg Brothers for a set up. No substitution. Worth every penny in fuel savings.

Then an English grammar course if I may suggest.

well i didnt know that,do you mean the face below the main intake??there is some kind of air hole

jacko

posted on 20/5/09 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
Its inline with the main needles a brass hole
carbs on manifold
carbs on manifold

jpindy3

posted on 20/5/09 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
what the one below or boath?
coozer

posted on 20/5/09 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
The one in the middle directly below the needle. Its an air bleed for the main that needs blocking.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

jpindy3

posted on 20/5/09 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
The one in the middle directly below the needle. Its an air bleed for the main that needs blocking.

thanks cooza and jacko,
i shall do it sometime in the morning,thin is i will want to see what it can do,but that might get me into truble,i could get away with it today coz it was my iva

it will so want it though!

thanks jamie

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.