Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: is it worth the money?
omega0684

posted on 26/6/09 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
is it worth the money?

have seen this on ebay for a while now and just wondered whether its worth the money?

ebay chassis pack

opinions please

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 26/6/09 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
do you know how much the steel itself would cost?

also cost of ready made chassis?

then

omega0684

posted on 26/6/09 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
no, i was thinking about making my own chassis?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Bluemoon

posted on 26/6/09 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
The problem maybe that you will find some bit's don't quite fit... Cutting as you go along stops this?? Remember you don't have a chassis jig..

dan

Dingz

posted on 26/6/09 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
And you still have £60 left for the rest of the car!
handyandy

posted on 26/6/09 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
the chassis,s available from that supplier in general have very good feedback as in the steel is cut very accurately,

BUT

if you are prepared to cut your own steel then you can save some money,
i looked at buying their Haynes Roadster chassis pack but decided in the end to cut my own............ so to answer your question............ the cost of the steel for my chassis has cost me £120 delivered , maybe bought one extra length at £9 so £129 delivered , so its upto you if you want to do the cutting yourself.
hth

andy

hellbent345

posted on 26/6/09 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
armoto do good stuff, i had a wishbone jig from them, good item, just depends what price you put on your time. i kind of wish i had just bought thier roadster chassis pack instead of making my own! basically, if it goes together perfectly with one of thier packs, you know its right - is what ive heard of it... if you are out enough to need you to file anything down etc you are probably making a chassis that isnt square

Al

[Edited on 26/6/09 by hellbent345]

02GF74

posted on 26/6/09 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by handyandy
so £129 delivered ,

compared to £ 240 (haynes roadster) it is a no brainer.

to cut the bits to right length accuratley has gotta be a week's evening work just to save 90 quid?

handyandy

posted on 26/6/09 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
but also the chassis kit costs £40 for delivery, so ok £150 saved isn,t a huge amount but the way i looked at it, the savings paid for my mig welder set up, yes the cutting takes a little time but wasn,t that hard to do really.
it all depends on your outlook of time v money.

i,ve not said either way is the better option just the way i did it

andy

handyandy

posted on 26/6/09 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
quote:
Originally posted by handyandy
so £129 delivered ,

compared to £ 240 (haynes roadster) it is a no brainer.

to cut the bits to right length accuratley has gotta be a week's evening work just to save 90 quid?

i make it £111...

ashg

posted on 26/6/09 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
if you have to buy a chop saw it works out the same.

i went for the armoto pack and cant fault it. every part fitted perfectly!!

i like the armoto pack as i would have never been able to achieve the same level of accuracy with my chop saw.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

austin man

posted on 26/6/09 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
Having cut much of my own chasis with a hacksaw and filed to correct angle I would deffo go for a pre cut pack. The time saving itself is well worth paying £60 above the price of the steel. You also get Pxxxed off when youve cut the same bit wrong twice. No brainer to me

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

ahunt

posted on 1/7/09 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
I brought this chassi. thought it was well worth the money pretty much every piece fitted but there was a few odd piece that needed altering the tinyest but nothing majour. and.. it was missing a piece that goes below the rear tower. but as im a steel worker was no problem. worked out it would of cost me £60 in steel. cant remember how many meters but was enough to cover the lot but just couldn't be arsed to work on a horizontal ban saw for two days changing the angles every 2 cuts. hope this helps a little
procomp

posted on 2/7/09 at 07:12 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

But then again it is just a STD Ron book chassis and has not taken into account some of the areas that would need changing to get the best from the desighn. There is at least one or two manufacturers who do that chassis complete powder coated for just over £500. With all the extra bracing and mods to the chassis.

Depends on how you look at it and whether you feel you can weld it all up accurately get it powder coated Etc Etc.

Cheers Matt

PS it's not me doing the chassis for £500

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.