Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Volvo V50 Oil Change.
Rosco

posted on 10/8/09 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
Volvo V50 Oil Change.

I have a V50 with a D5 engine for a family car. The Volvo service interval is 18k miles which seams far too long to me so I thought I'd do an intermediate oil change. Only problem is that I can't find the drain plug. There is a tray under the whole engine bay which looks fairly easy to take off if only I could get it in the air. I just wondered whether anyone knows whether that's the right approach before I start messing about with it, or whether it's designed to have the old oil pumped out rather than drainined.
Breaker

posted on 11/8/09 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rosco
I have a V50 with a D5 engine for a family car. The Volvo service interval is 18k miles which seams far too long to me so I thought I'd do an intermediate oil change. Only problem is that I can't find the drain plug. There is a tray under the whole engine bay which looks fairly easy to take off if only I could get it in the air. I just wondered whether anyone knows whether that's the right approach before I start messing about with it, or whether it's designed to have the old oil pumped out rather than drainined.

Yes, first you should remove the plastic tray and afterwards remove the drain plug.

Image deleted by owner

Note: Meaning of the clock and 30°C: When the outside temperature is above 30°C; you should have a beer every 5 minutes while working on the car....

[Edited on 11/8/09 by Breaker]

britishtrident

posted on 11/8/09 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
Assuming you can get at the oil filter for intermediate oil changes why not buy vacuum pump oil extractor that goes down the dip stick tube I have a Seago branded one and with the engine warm it sucks the sump dry --- really as dry as you would get removing the drain plug.
You can get them fairly cheaply from yacht chandlers or off ebay --- much cheaper than from big name brands.

I have one and it is so easy change the oil that I change the oil ever 7k on the Rover but only change the filter and use a flushing agent every second oil change. Really over kil as I now I run on LPG the oil hardly gets dirty between changes anyway.

Morrisions petrol stations are selling 5ltr Havoline 5w/30 fully synthetic for 16 quid.

One thing to watch is the plug change interval on modern cars with long life plugs the manufacturers have stretched it much too far --- on some makes its is 60,000 miles plus and for other manufacturers it is not scheduled at all in the whole life of the vehicle !
In my experienc4e using even long-life precious metal or multi-gap spark plugs past 30,000 miles between changes is risking coil pack insulation breakdown from excessive HT voltages.

[Edited on 11/8/09 by britishtrident]

britishtrident

posted on 11/8/09 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
Pretty cheap really you can also get electric ones that pump straight into any old oil container.

http://www.force4.co.uk/859/Force-4-Oil-Extractor-Pump.html

http://www.marinescene.co.uk/category/699/oil-extraction Rescued attachment new.jpg
Rescued attachment new.jpg

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.