Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Clutch damper
speedyxjs

posted on 24/8/09 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
Clutch damper

There was this thing attached to the clutch lines on the donor car that i (for some reason) decided i didnt need it and left it at the back of the garage and forgot about it.

I have just found out (after coming across on on fleabay by accident) that it is called a clutch damper.

What is a clutch damper and should i fit it?
Im abit worried about the answer to the later as it has just taken me 3 days and an engine removal to bleed the clutch but if i need to put it in il book 3 days off work

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

v8kid

posted on 25/8/09 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
Some cars have a restriction on the return fluid so you can't drop the clutch on a standing start to protect the drive train.

As you will be a lot lighter than the donor I'd not worry about it.

Some racers fit them so they can slip their foot sideways off the clutch when in a hurry to make gearchanges but it needs carefull adjustment and the setting often drifts for som reason

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 25/8/09 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
If it similar to the type used om Maxis and some LandRover models the damper isn't a restrictor is really hydraulic accumulator --- in a clutch system it stops the pressure plate and fork being damaged by being forced into an over travel situation.

Not all BL FWD cars had them the Mini didn't and we used to see bent clutch operting "forks" (wasn't really fork shaped) quite often on the original Mini. Tip with the real Mini if the clutch isn't clearing and the hydraulics are OK the "fork" is bent through the clutch release reaching the end of its travel but the drivers foot via the hydraulics continues to apply excessive pressure -- something has to bend or break.
On Minis to fix it just remove the fork thingy it heat it to above red heat and bend it back.

[Edited on 25/8/09 by britishtrident]

[Edited on 25/8/09 by britishtrident] Rescued attachment Disco_clutchdamper.jpg
Rescued attachment Disco_clutchdamper.jpg

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.