Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: what thickness?
blakep82

posted on 25/8/09 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
what thickness?

on the back of my engine theres all sorts of bracketryt for water sensors, coil packs and stuff. well i don't need all the brackets so i've done away with it. it leaves a hole on my cylinder head where the water is though. what thickness of ali should i use for a blanking plate?

10mm perhaps? can i go thinner?

just trying to work out a whole list of bits i need made up

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

jpindy3

posted on 25/8/09 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
8 or 10mm,that would be fine.id think

thinking about it it depends on how big the hole is,if its only small go thiner than that 6mm should do it

[Edited on 25/8/09 by jpindy3]

BenB

posted on 25/8/09 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Hole where the water is? IE hole in the water jacket. That stuff's under reasonable pressure. The thickness required will depend very much on the shape of the blanking plate / number of bolts to hold it in place / clamping force etc.

10mm ali with a cork gasket and maybe a bit of blue will probably do the job but

WE NEED PICTURES

blakep82

posted on 25/8/09 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
hmm, ok, pictures... hang on. i'll see what i can find

see, i did have some 19mm ali to do it with, but everyone said it was too much. going to have loads of bits water jet cut, so re-thinking it as my attempt with a jig saw and file was terrible

[Edited on 25/8/09 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

blakep82

posted on 25/8/09 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
this is the bit i've taken off, its gasket is about 14cm across, 5cm tall. the hole in the water jacket is only about 25mm diameter.

my pc seems to have something against opening photoshop AND ms paint, i was going to put up a photo of the gasket, but i can't at the minute

i can do this one, where you see a bit of the round piece where the sensor goes

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/upload/4Untitled-1%20copy.jpg

yeah the photos huge, but resizing is out of action right now... bear in mind the dimentions above

the passage below is something to do with the exhaust gas recirculation i think, which i'm doing away with as i'm running carbs. so the opening in the water way is tiny compared to the size of the plate

Description
Description

mad4x4

posted on 26/8/09 at 06:15 AM Reply With Quote
Locost approch of What have you lying about.

Anything from about 5mm upwards will do the job IMHO

Did you know - Core plugs for a V8 Engine are only about 3mm Thick

[Edited on 26/808/09 by mad4x4]

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

ss1turbo

posted on 26/8/09 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
That looks like the EGR valve holes to me..so it'll be exhaust gasses on one hole and the inlet manifold vac on the other.
X20XEV lump?

Long live RWD...

02GF74

posted on 26/8/09 at 07:24 AM Reply With Quote
how thick is a tin of coke? and that if you shake the can gets to pretty high pressure. not a true comparison though due to shape.

for a 19 mm hole 3 mm is more than planty so anything thicker than that will be more than adequate - also depends how many, size, how close the fixing bolts are and if washers to spread the load are used.

think how thick steel core plugs are, then work out equivalent thickness of aluminium for the same strength.

Fred W B

posted on 26/8/09 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
3 mm will be fine

Cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

blakep82

posted on 26/8/09 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ss1turbo
That looks like the EGR valve holes to me..so it'll be exhaust gasses on one hole and the inlet manifold vac on the other.
X20XEV lump?

sure is. but blanking them all off.

3mm ali? not arguing, but seemed a bit thin to me. could always go a little thicker to please myself, 5mm, then see how that goes i guess

cheers

ss1turbo

posted on 26/8/09 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Why not try the Omega/Vectra fix method? They use a coke can, with the original valve to hold it down. Chop the top off that, use the coke can and Robert is...you know.

Long live RWD...

blakep82

posted on 26/8/09 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
^ erm, not entirely sure what you mean, but the whole thing has to come off as i've got about 2" space behind the engine before the bulkhead. so it'll need to be a waterjet plate. thanks for the suggestion though

flak monkey

posted on 27/8/09 at 06:54 AM Reply With Quote
3mm will be more than adequate for blanking off EGR ports. As long as its flat. If you are unsure, use 5mm plate.

There's no real amount of pressure there, certainly not enough to distort 3mm plate.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.