Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: cooling system
blakep82

posted on 29/8/09 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
cooling system

on a expansion/header tank system, is it important for the radiator to be high in the system?

i want to design my radiator brackets. not as easy as i'd thought...

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

r1_pete

posted on 29/8/09 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
No, but the pressure cap must be the highest point, and any potential air traps vented into the top of the header tank..

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 29/8/09 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
good stuff

any ideas if what kind of tank is supposed to be used on the mk4 transit?
I've been recommended to use that one, but its got 3 connections on it. the main in and out, and a tiny 8mm pipe on top? i'm thinking expansion tank?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

r1_pete

posted on 29/8/09 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
This is my set up, just one big bottom pipe, the 8mm top one is the vent, and that cap on the stat housing is just a flat seal, not a pressure cap, the pressure cap is on the header tank. Rescued attachment bay1.jpg
Rescued attachment bay1.jpg

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 29/8/09 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
^^^ wots that then ? zetec MGB?

is that MGB radiator, don;t recignise it as such.

also see you are using same coloured silicone hoses as me ...

BenB

posted on 29/8/09 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
As said you need the header tank vent cap to be the highest point in the circuit. The position of the radiator doesn't matter as long as you've got some way of air escaping from the top of the rad (such as a line going to the header tank)...
blakep82

posted on 29/8/09 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
thanks guys

so, radiator has main in and out, and the 8mm vent.

engine has main top and bottom hose, there is a 8mm hose, which i think is for water (?) and a sort of 25mm hose, which normally went to the heater. i don't have a heater now, and the other 25mm connection is now blocked off

so the main top and bottom is fine.

so i connect the 25mm on the engine to the bottom of a header tank, and both 8mm to vent?

britishtrident

posted on 29/8/09 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
You musn't block off the heater connections they usually form the only by-pass circuit on moderrn engines --- without a by-pass the thermostat won't open until the engines is on the verge of boiling.
The by pass allows the coolant to circulate withing the engine when the thermostat is closed. This constant recirculation passes hot coolant over the thermostat bulbe . If you don't have by-pass recirculation the thermostat only gets heated by conduction through the coolant water which is much slower.

You should join the heater inlet and outlet pipes together. If you want to connect the by-pass to the large hose on the header tant you can do this using a tee piece . Heater hoses on modern cars are usually approx either 16mm or 20mm internal diameter you can get suitable Tee pieces from sellers of LPG conversion kits (for example http://www.tinleytech.co.uk/acatalog/Water_Hoses_and_Fittings.html ).

You might find the Rover 25 header tank a better choice it is neatly packaged and has only two connections.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

blakep82

posted on 29/8/09 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
hmm, makes sense... the one i blocked off is at the back of the engine, tight up against the bulkhead

heres some some photos of what i've got. i actually have 1 more than i thought in there

engine side
engine side

engine other side
engine other side

the bottom hose is hidden by the alternator, and actaully that rubber hose above the alternator is another tiny hose connection, so there's 2 of them in total

frowned upon, i know, but if i can't sort the other cylinder head outlet, what if i just took the thermostat out?
i intent to let this engine warm up to temp before driving it (i say that now, but... lol)

[Edited on 29/8/09 by blakep82]

r1_pete

posted on 29/8/09 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
^^^ wots that then ? zetec MGB?

is that MGB radiator, don;t recignise it as such.

also see you are using same coloured silicone hoses as me ...

Yep, zetec in an MGB,. Rad is an MGB V8, connections are reversed compared to the 1.8 rad.

britishtrident

posted on 31/8/09 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
Of course the other way to do things is use a Landrover/Rover PRRT thermostat which has the by-pass built in.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.