Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: radiator mounting
02GF74

posted on 16/1/10 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
radiator mounting

peugeot 206 alloy radiator. it has two 10mm pegs on the top and bottom that I assume are for mounting; there are also lugs on one side (engien side) that I assume are for hanging the fans - I cannot use them.

For the base, I am thinkiong of welding 30 mm sections for square tube with a 10 mm hole drilled in to locate the pag and weld on to chassis rail - there is one along the base. then put a rubber disc buffer in between.

anyone see anything wrong with that idea?

For the top, I would need to weld on a steel bracket, then have another bracket that uses the mounting hole and bolts onto the frist bracket (needs bolting otherwise I cannot get the raditor in).

as per mock up in photo.

anything that goes in front of the radiator matrix is reducing its cooling.
so whaddya reckon?

other suggestions, preferrably sensible ones, are appreciated.

an alternative is to make an upside U-frame over the top of the radiator, hmmmm Rescued attachment DSC05827.JPG
Rescued attachment DSC05827.JPG

Bluemoon

posted on 16/1/10 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds fine, the only thing I would do different is not just use a disk of rubber, you want no metal to metal contact (including the ali peg). So I'd use a bit of rubber pipe as well or a suitable grommet in the hole.. The idea is to stop the chaffing of Ali on steel..

Dan

britishtrident

posted on 16/1/10 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
The engine has to move about a bit so to reduce metal fatigue on the radiator you should rubber mount the rad.

You could use exhaust rubber bobbins in the upper mounting, for the lower mountings use proper rubber grommets --- lots of makes use them -- do an ebay search.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

02GF74

posted on 16/1/10 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident

for the lower mountings use proper rubber grommets --- lots of makes use them -- do an ebay search.

ok, good job I didn;t get very far making the lower mounts; need to llok for grommets now.

if top and base are rubber mounted, the radiator will not be earthed to chassis, wonder if that is a problem?

Bluemoon

posted on 16/1/10 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
I'd not worry about it not being earthed, might actually be a good thing (galvanic corrosion wise). Most Rads have plastic end-caps anyhow and these are used to attach to the car without an electrical contact.

Dan

02GF74

posted on 17/1/10 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
^^^ good point about modern rads being mounted using plastic end tanks .... just that all rads I've come across were all metal hence would be default be earthed.

can't see any problem it not being earthed .....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.