Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cat fitting
corrado vr6

posted on 24/1/10 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
Cat fitting

Evening, I bought a Cat (not the meow kind) off ebay from the states turned up the other day and tried fitting it this afternoon, however unfortunatly it seems to have a bigger ID size than the OD of the manifold and the silencer, I hoped the clamps might pull it down tight but that didnt work, so i was wondering if i were to cut 4 slots like this

exhaust
exhaust

would it allow it to clamp down tighter its not massivley oversize just slack so im after peoples views as to wether this would allow it to close up, im guessing it would but would rather have some opinions before I start adapting it as then i cant send it back, Any help much appriciated Greg

http://r1indy7.wordpress.com/

prawnabie

posted on 24/1/10 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Can you not get someone to weld it up?
big_wasa

posted on 24/1/10 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Weld it on or get a pipe expander
blakep82

posted on 24/1/10 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
this doesn't necessarily help, but i bought a R1 exhaust, and there was some kind of sodt, fabric type gasket stuff in the end to take the gap. i don't know exactly what it was made of though. or what about that exhaust putty? or welding it up?

where did you get it from though? and how much? i'm after one too

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

corrado vr6

posted on 24/1/10 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
I can weld so that is an option and one i hadnt thought of, only draw back is its no going to be permanent it will fall off after IVA

quote:

where did you get it from though? and how much? i'm after one too

Got from here although postage nearly costs the same i was meant to have bought 2 and sell the other on to cover the postage but must have had to many beers and forgot to update the quantity DOH

http://r1indy7.wordpress.com/

blakep82

posted on 24/1/10 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
well, if its to fall off, then possibly fall back on again for MOTs heres what my plan was. weld some of those exhaust flanges on (the oval type ones with 2 holes) and also on the exhaust itself. that way its bolted together, then unbolted to be replaces with a length of exhaust pipe to replace

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

flibble

posted on 24/1/10 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
How about just wrapping a 2" strip of 1 or 2mm steel round the exhaust pipe, tack it on (quick grind to get rid of ridges)?

[Edited on 24-1-10 by flibble]

Chippy

posted on 24/1/10 at 11:49 PM Reply With Quote
If it's just for IVA and MOT use then just cut four hacksaw slots in the end and clamp it up, you can always use a bit of the red heatproof silycon, or some exhaust paste if it leaks, but I doubt that it will. HTH Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

Humbug

posted on 25/1/10 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
Stepped adapter like on this page? Item U076300R Rescued attachment Screenshot 2010-01-25 08.4601.jpg
Rescued attachment Screenshot 2010-01-25 08.4601.jpg

MikeRJ

posted on 25/1/10 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
You are most unlikely to get a satisfactory seal by slotting and clamping it, and having an air leak at the cat is the last thing you want.

I would either source some pipe that fits within the gap, or use a strip of steel to pack it out, coupled with a little bit of assembly paste to ensure no leaks.

mistergrumpy

posted on 25/1/10 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
I had exactly the same cat and with what looks like the same manifold, an MK one. I cut 2 extra slots like you're proposing and it doesn't work, leaks like a sieve and made a lot of difference to the emissions. I welded it in the end to the tail pipe, had no other choice and I'll just replace the whole assembly when I get around to it.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.